Not sure about the outdents

Please see attached screenshot. I want all the blue rows to have that “+” or “-“ sign with the text in bold, like what I circled in the screenshot… and the child row will be under it, of course. I clicked on “outdent” for that row but it did not do that. I managed to fill the color to blue, but the plus minus sign did not appear nor did the text get bold. I’m new, please send me instructions/video. Thanks.

Answers

• Alia
    Alia ✭✭

Hi Eric, Here is the screenshot, sorry:) and this was my question:

Please see attached screenshot. I want all the blue rows to have that “+” or “-“ sign with the text in bold, like what I circled in the screenshot… and the child row will be under it, of course. I clicked on “outdent” for that row but it did not do that. I managed to fill the color to blue, but the plus minus sign did not appear nor did the text get bold. I’m new, please send me instructions/video. Thanks.

[P.S. on the formulas query, is there a link you can send me where I can learn how to do the formulas please?]

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Indent and outdent

Use Ctrl and ] at the same time to make a row a child (or right click and select indent) and Ctrl and [ at the same time to reverse that (or right click and select outdent).

To make your blue rows the parents of the rows below you need to:

Outdent row 40 - Ctrl [

This should promote Gift items to be the parent of sim cards, battery packs, and misc.

Then select all rows 49 to 51 inclusive and indent those - Ctrl ]

This will then add the - sign next to row 48 as this will become the parent of rows 49-51. You cannot outdent row 48 as it is already as far to the left as possible. You need to indent the rows below it.

Similarly indent 53 and 54 which will add the - next to 52.

And repeat with 56-63.

Color and bold

You can add the blue and bold manually as it looks like you have been, using the bold and fill buttons:

Or, you can add a helper column to the sheet and use a formula to populate this with the number of children. That way you can use conditional formatting to format the parent rows. You can hide this column so it doesn't bother you. The formula is

=COUNT(CHILDREN())

Make this a column formula (right click on the cell with the formula in)

Set up the conditional formatting using this icon:

Set a condition like this:

And formatting like this:

To create this rule:

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!