How to automatically have a report update when a new sheet is created in a workspace

Options

Hello! I am trying to create an ongoing report/ chart with a workspace. So that anytime a new sheet is added to the workspace, it automatically updates the report, therefore updating the chart on the dashboard. I thought I had it figured out, but then one of our employees added a sheet to her workspace (outside of any folder, just a stand alone sheet), and it did not automatically update the report. I had to go into the report and re-click her workspace for it to update with the new sheet. Is there a way to just have this automatic so that anytime a new sheet is created in the workspace, it automatically updates?

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• Jason Tarpinian
    Jason Tarpinian ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Outside of Control Center, the only way to do this is the source for the report must be the workspace, not a folder or sheets. Doing this will then source all current sheets in the workspace, and any future sheets added (if you source a folder, it does not auto-add to reports). The caveat to this is to make sure your filters are set properly to not bring in obscure rows from sheets accidentally, like by setting the filter to - sheet name contains "Schedule", or something so it doesn't accidentally bring in data from a budget sheet.

Jason Tarpinian - Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!