Trigger Notification

Hi there,

I'd like to have a notification trigger when a box is checked in a "Complete" column for one particular row to send a notification to all contacts in an "Owner" column.

What is best practice for this?

Owner Column with email contacts

Checkbox for "Complete" Column (other checkboxes were formatted to basically blend in)

Thank you for any help you may have!

Answers

• juliesilverio
    juliesilverio ✭✭✭✭

Hi Jbotham,

You can utilize Smartsheet automations for this process. One note is that for your contact to receive notifications, your Owner column needs to be formatted as a Contact list column type.

Here is an article that outlines the steps in depth: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2479061-automate-processes-end-to-end-with-visual-workflows

Below is how you will set up the automation based on the information provided:

Another thing to note is that you'll need to check the box for each row next to the contact if you want the General Manager and District Manager to receive the alerts, for example. Smartsheet won't be able to recognize contacts in separate cells within the same column without further conditions provided.

Hope that helps!

Julie Silverio, PMP

Senior Manager, Program Leadership

Xencor Inc.

https://xencor.com/

• Jbotham
    Jbotham ✭✭✭

Hey Julie, this definitely helps!

The problem I'm coming up against is that it's not actually triggering the notification when the box is checked. Do you know what would be causing this?

Best,

Jules

• florian.zbinden7
    florian.zbinden7 ✭✭✭✭

hi,

from your screenshot, I'm not sure contacts are properly registered with their e-mail address. Can you confirm ?

The 2nd check to do is to go into your workflows (Automation -> Manage workflows) and to check the settings (top right gear icon); just test with "unrestricted" to see if the rest of your setup is correct:

hope this helps,

BR

Florian