Contacts not coming over on all sheets

Options

Hello, we are having issues where the contacts are being saved in the contacts folder but are not showing up on the sheet or cannot tag them in conversation box. Please see examples . I think i have 2 different issues: one where we cannot see the contact as "ALL" on one sheet but can on another. also issue of not being able to tag someone by name, only email.

Tags:

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @jarrearan1_vvgtruck

There are a few ways that Contacts are used in Smartsheet.

1) Sheet Nickname

You can add a sort of "nickname" to an email address by editing a contact directly in the cell, as you have in the picture here:

If you edit the contact directly from the cell, it will update that contact just for that one sheet. However it doesn't change the actual contact.

2) Personal Contacts

Then there's your contacts in "My Personal Contacts". This is where you can set the name across all of your sheets. This is a name personal to how you've set it up.

3) The user's direct profile

The name that will appear when you go to share a sheet will be pulled from their personal account settings.

There's more information here: Manage which contacts appear when you type in a cell and here Add contacts to My Smartsheet Contacts

In regards to tagging, is it possible that the user does not have a name in their profile? The @mention will pull from their actual, profile name, not from either of your nicknames (in the sheet or in your personal contacts).

If that's not the case, are you accessing the sheet via a Workapp or Dynamic View?

Thanks!

Genevieve

• jarrearan1_vvgtruck
    Options

Thank you. I tried also sharing the sheet with that contact and still is not updating. but do you see on this one how the person icon and the "add new" grayed out? why cant i make changes?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @jarrearan1_vvgtruck

What are the Column Properties for that specific column? The + Add New will be greyed out if your column is restricting values: