Im trying to assign a formula only to parent cells, to get % completed

Options

I have a column called "Done" and i want the child cells to have checkboxes and the parents to have the % of the project done( some rows dont have child cells and are stand alone). I have a formula that works:

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN([Primary Column]@row)) >= 1, COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), true) / COUNT(CHILDREN()) * 100 + "%")

but I cant apply this to the column( the checkboxes no longer check), is there a way to set this up? I don't want to be copy and pasting it for every new row added to the sheet.

In addition to setting that up I am trying to base the harvy ball in my " completion" column off of the % i would get from the parent cells in "Done"

Hopefully there is an answer out there!!!!

Tags:

Answers

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The formula you have is checking if the cell is a parent and putting a percentage if so and returning nothing if not. Therefore, if you put it in the same column as your check boxes any child checkboxes will be unchecked by the formula. You are sort of going around in circles.

If you don't want to paste your formula into each parent row, you could use a separate column for it and leave your Done column as it is. You could format your new column as Text/Number and Percentage, then you won't need the end part of your formula and can do math on the value for your completion column.

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN([Primary Column]@row)) >= 1, COUNTIF(CHILDREN(Done@row), true) / COUNT(CHILDREN(Done@row)))

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!