Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Transfer/Move/Copy Rows from one sheet to another, and keep formulas..?

Options
TJ-Webfoot
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I need to transfer rows from one sheet to another that contain formulas. I know that the simple copy and move options just transfer over the values of the cells, but I'm really hoping that someone has found a clever way around this. We've totally overhauled our use of SS and this little deficiency could be a show-stopper.

I use Zapier quite a bit but don't see an option for this... 

Any ideas??

Comments

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

Hi TJ—

The best workaround to preserve formulas in the move/copy is to turn them into text by putting an apostrophe in front of the equal sign, for example: '=SUM(Column:Column)

Take the apostrophe out after the move and the formula will work as long as you have the same exact columns on the destination sheet.

If you have the same function spanning across several rows, you can just preserve one formula with an apostrophe, copy or move it over, remove the apostrophe, then drag-fill the function down by selecting the cell and grabbing from the bottom right corner and pulling down.

• TJ-Webfoot
    Options

Thanks Shaine - that's actually the best idea yet. However, it just doesn't jive with our workflow. If it was a one-off situation, then sure.. but we're moving rows en masse nearly every day (or would like to).

• Giuseppe_Coccone
    Options

Any updates on this problem? I am running into the same issue.

• Michael Halvey
    Michael Halvey ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Would love to have my formulas transfer over when I move/copy a row. Doesn't make sense it just turns into a number and looses it's formula.

• MakeItHappen
    MakeItHappen ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have exactly the same need and still looking for a solution.

This discussion has been closed.