How do I convert dates into a time period (month) for reporting?

I am creating a savings dashboard and my primary sheet records the date the PO is issued. In my dashboard I want to display my savings by month or fiscal period. Is there a formula that will convert my rows with PO issued dates between date ranges into a fiscal period/month.

Example: I want to convert row cells with any PO issued date range 01/01/2024- 01/31/2024 to show in the column beside that to Jan 2024 or better yet 'Period 7 FY23'

How would I do that?

Answers

• Recently I did something similar by using two helper columns. One for the start of the week, and one for the end of the week, so there are 52 rows worth of entries.

From there you can utilize an IF(AND( Statement to give a condition to any PO values that fall within the monthly date range.

IF(AND(PO_Date '>=' Month_start, PO_Date '<=' Month_End), ...) and then define your output criteria. I am not aware of any single formula to accomplish all of this.

Alternatively, you could create a report to display on the dashboard and filter/group by specific date ranges.

I hope this helps!

• Recently I did something similar by using two helper columns. One for the start of the week, and one for the end of the week, so there are 52 rows worth of entries.

From there you can utilize an IF(AND( Statement to give a condition to any PO values that fall within the monthly date range.

IF(AND(PO_Date '>=' Month_start, PO_Date '<=' Month_End), ...) and then define your output criteria. I am not aware of any single formula to accomplish all of this.

Alternatively, you could create a report to display on the dashboard and filter/group by specific date ranges.

I hope this helps!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!