Dynamic View - details panel

jeanniesry_4
jeanniesry_4 ✭✭✭✭
edited 02/10/24 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hello. I set up a dynamic view from a report and customized the fields that I want editors to update to "require." However, in the dynamic view details, these fields are grayed out and unable to be edited. These field columns in its source sheet are not locked. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Answers

• Ric T
    Ric T ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/06/24

Hi @jeanniesry_4,

Just an idea, is there anything in your field logic (setting underneath your field properties) that is making the above fields read-only when a specified condition is met? If you can, can you share this to another email account that you have (or colleague) and see if the fields are still read-only when shared to them? One more thing I'd check is if in your underlying source sheet, check if the column name has been renamed.

Cheers,

Ric

• jeanniesry_4
    jeanniesry_4 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Ric T,

I didn't add any field logic but I think it's because I have a formula in those columns that are grayed out. The columns have an index match formula cross-referencing information to another sheet back and forth. However, I didn't convert the column to function so I'm not sure why would gray out in the dynamic view. The source sheet has the formula in the cells but editors can still input value in the cell.

Also, I thought that users with "editor" role would be able to make updates to a dynamic view, but it seems here that only Admins can? If this is the case then every user would have to be "admin" in the source sheet but that would defeat the purpose of limiting access and creating a dynamic view?

• Ash A.
    Ash A. Employee

Hey @jeanniesry_4,

Do any of those fields meet the following criteria in your source sheet:

• Field is from a System Column
    • Field is from a Gantt End Date Column
    • Field is the "End date column" in the date range display of the project settings
    • Field is from a Gantt Predecessor Column
    • Cell in source sheet contains a formula
    • Cell in source sheet contains an inbound cell-link
    • Cell in source sheet contains a Hyperlink

If any of those conditions above met the criteria, then this may be the root cause.

(Source: Dynamic View App: Create and Administrate Views)

• jeanniesry_4
    jeanniesry_4 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Ash A. ,

Yes, I have a formula in the cell of those columns. It's the index match formula to pull info from another sheet. The formula is not set to convert column to function, however, and so editors can still enter a value in the cell. Is there a workaround so that editors can also edit/input value into that cell within dynamic view?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @jeanniesry_4

I hope you're well and safe!

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• Add a helper column and use that for them to enter the value, and then update the formula in the main to show the new column if it's not empty.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• jeanniesry_4
    jeanniesry_4 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Andrée Starå - do you have an example of what this helper column and updated formula should look like? I am having a hard time picturing how it should be set up.

Thank you!