Are others having sporadic API issues? An unexpected error has occurred

Options
bsikes
bsikes ✭✭✭
edited 02/28/24 in API & Developers

In the past couple of days, we've had API processes that have ran fine for months, start to have issues. The error we seem to be most commonly seeing is error code 4000, "An unexpected error has occurred. Please contact the Support team at https://help.smartsheet.com/contact for assistance."

We're starting to sporadically see this for all variations for row gets, updates, creates, and moves. I've made a support case, but since I haven't noticed any public acknowledgement of any ongoing problems, I'm hoping someone else can chime in saying they've noticed some odd things the past couple of days.

Thank you!

Answers

• BKing
    BKing ✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, I have logged it with support.

Like you, processes that have been running for over a year suddenly failing. Feels like a time out?

Regards,

Brian

• bsikes
    bsikes ✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah, almost seems like a time out, except that we're usually getting the response pretty fast that something went wrong with the API call.

Sometimes the call did actually fail, which isn't usually a problem as we just retry... but sometimes it didn't actually fail, which can be a problem because we just retry. Case being we've seen some sheets suddenly getting duplicate rows added, because the first add "failed", then successfully added on a second attempt. in reality, both adds actually added a row.

• Smartsheet.Api.InvalidRequestException: An unexpected error has occurred. Please contact the Support team at https://help.smartsheet.com/contact for assistance. at Smartsheet.Api.Internal.AbstractResources.HandleError(HttpResponse response) at Smartsheet.Api.Internal.AbstractResources.GetResource[T](String path, Type objectClass) at ...........

Is the error like this?

• bsikes
    bsikes ✭✭✭
    Options

Pretty similar. I'm sure it depends on what you're using to make the call, but the message itself is the same. The logging we have setup is showing this:

• bsikes
    bsikes ✭✭✭
    Options

@BKing @jaysen.albright Not sure about your issues, but ours seemed to be resolved after Smartsheet fixed yesterday's incident. A little hard to tell with this mornings separate(?) incident, but I think we're in the clear.

• @BKing It has slowed down some but just received this error a few minutes ago. Smartsheet.Api.InvalidRequestException: An unexpected error has occurred. Please contact the Support team at https://help.smartsheet.com/contact for assistance. at Smartsheet.Api.Internal.AbstractResources.HandleError(HttpResponse response) at Smartsheet.Api.Internal.AbstractResources.PutAndReceiveList[T,S](String path, T objectToPut, Type objectClassToReceive) at Smartsheet.Api.Internal.SheetRowResourcesImpl.UpdateRows(Int64 sheetId, IEnumerable`1 rows) at 

• BKing
    BKing ✭✭✭
    Options

@bsikes and @jaysen.albright, no further events this end. Our api calls are in fairly constant use and seem to be performing as expected.

If the support team give us any further data I'll let you know.

Regards, Brian

• bsikes
    bsikes ✭✭✭
    Options

We've had a reduced number of issues today, but still a few. I'm asking support to continue looking into it for us.