Can You Copy and Paste MULTIPLE Images into Multiple Cells?

We use Autodesk Inventor and when we're designing an assembly, the bill of materials creates thumbnails of the items for each line.

We can export this to Excel and it puts a thumbnail image into cells inline with the item information.

We would like to be able to add these thumbnails to Smartsheet so it's a quick reference for other departments. Right now the only way we see to do this is to save each thumbnail as an individual image file. Then go to one cell in Smartsheet, RMB, select Insert Image, then browse out to the image and select it. When we have hundreds and hundreds of items it is totally impractical to try to do this for each item one at a time. Is there any way to copy and paste a whole row of images into cells in Smartsheet?

Answers

• I also would love to be able to do this.

It is possible however to copy-paste the images into the cells one by one. (Very cumbersome on large assemblies)

1. Copy-paste from Inventor BOM into Excel. (You must do this first. It won't copy from Inventor)
    2. Click the thumbnail in Excel.
    3. Ctrl+C
    4. Click the cell in Smartsheet.
    5. Ctrl+V

Note: If it doesn't work, it's because sometimes it takes multiple clicks. You have to click in the window to grab context first and then click again to select the image/cell before the copy/paste.

• Ward.Hively
    Ward.Hively ✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/08/24

There certainly appears to be!!! I love this idea. I haven’t vetted this yet, so I am not certain it is 100% possible but it should be. Here are some possible options.

I use Make.com frequently for Smartsheet and GIS.

Its worth a try. I would assume that if you can map data into cells, and those cells accept an image extension, then make will be able to automate this.

Python is an option as well. The Smartsheet Python libraries are very thorough and cover most of the bases.

If you would like some help getting this set up, just reach out!

Ward Hively

President and Chief Consultant

🌉Skyway Consulting Co.🌉

Need Smartsheet Help? Schedule a complementary consultation click SCHEDULE

Does your Dashboard need a map that updates from Smartsheet Data? We pioneered 101+ ways to add a map to a Smartsheet Dashboard.

Smartsheet and GIS Integrations

ArcGIS Online

✅ Arc Py

✅ Smartsheet Advanced

✅ Manage your GIS records from Dynamic View, Sheet or Report

✅ No Code (Limited Applications Apply)

LinkedIn: (49) Ward Hively | LinkedIn