Tracking time by project

I am familiar with simpler Google forms where we read the results in a spreadsheet. I'm new to smartsheets, and overwhelmed by the number and complexity of the offerings.

Starting small, I'm tracking one employee (so far) and want to known how she's allotted her time daily, over the week and bigger intervals..

I'd prefer the employee to fill out a form, and the results in a spreadsheet where I can enable rollup by project and time.

Pointers to solve this (simple) issue would be appreciated.

Best Answer

• Dakota Haeffner
    Dakota Haeffner ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

So I would start with a basic grid and add in whatever columns you want the employee to send to the sheet. Add in things like Name, hours works, activity category, activity status, etc.

After you have all the columns on your sheet, go to the top and hit create form. Select which columns you want and don't want the employee to fill out. Make things required, add in titles, and helper texts to make it more personalized to the employee. You can also add in logic to do things like, if they select documentation as an activity category have it display a separate column call, what was documented or something.

After your form was I would look into automations. See if you want to alert anyone, copy rows to an archived sheet, have dates manually get input, assign someone for specific criteria, or ever make approval workflows if the time needs to be approved.

Do a dry run on you form once created. I hope this helps and was something close to what you were looking for.

Answers

• Dakota Haeffner
    Dakota Haeffner ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

So I would start with a basic grid and add in whatever columns you want the employee to send to the sheet. Add in things like Name, hours works, activity category, activity status, etc.

After you have all the columns on your sheet, go to the top and hit create form. Select which columns you want and don't want the employee to fill out. Make things required, add in titles, and helper texts to make it more personalized to the employee. You can also add in logic to do things like, if they select documentation as an activity category have it display a separate column call, what was documented or something.

After your form was I would look into automations. See if you want to alert anyone, copy rows to an archived sheet, have dates manually get input, assign someone for specific criteria, or ever make approval workflows if the time needs to be approved.

Do a dry run on you form once created. I hope this helps and was something close to what you were looking for.

• Thanks for these suggestions. Keep 'em coming.