Shared Smart Sheets

David King
edited 02/09/24 in Smartsheet Basics

We use "service accounts" for when multiple users are responsbile for a smart sheet, they all get the notifications, etc...

However, we have a new policy where we cannot login to information systems with service accounts. Our accounts have to have our names. Is there a way to login with our regular accounts, but still have full access to sheets.

We realize that we would have to continue using a license for the service account and the personal account even though we would never login with the service account. It would just be used for email notifications.

Answers

• Hi @David King

As long as you're shared to the sheets that the Service Accounts "own" then you will have access to them from your other account.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Once a sheet is established, I'm assuming the owner can assign permissions so that others have the same right as the owner. At that point, the owner is just a title and doesn't mean anything unless we retire the "owner's" account at such time we could transfer the sheet to another owner.

Does all that sound accurate? I'm not a user of the system. I just handle the authentication and am getting mixed messages regarding everyone having their own account.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

My suggestion would be to have a "Service Group" and add all "service" users to this group. Then you can implement a policy that anything created must be shared to this group with admin permissions.

This way you are able to easily provide access to all users that need to manage the "service account" and also manage those users if one should leave or someone new needs added.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• makes sense

the goal ultimatley is that there are no service accounts, but having one for "backup" in case someone leaves is fine

thanks