Hotel day to day management

Hi!

I work for a beach side motel and I was looking for a way to consolidate the information we gather and then be able to report out on that data. For example, I created a form within Smart sheet for check ins- so we capture Name, Unit, Date, Amount , length of stay.. etc then what I would like to be able to do is report out on that data by DATE - so for each day I want to see Revenue, Occupancy, cash/credit intake. Which sounds really simple but I haven't been able to create anything in this system like what i need . Help

Best Answer

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/13/24 Answer ✓

Hi @Neal_Avalon Staff,

It sounds like you're looking to leverage Smartsheet to its full potential for managing and reporting on your motel's operations. Based on the requirements you've outlined—capturing check-in details via a form and wanting to report on data by date for revenue, occupancy, and payment method—here's how you can set this up effectively in Smartsheet:

Step 1: Setting Up Your Sheet

First, ensure your check-in form captures all the necessary information. Your form should feed into a Smartsheet that includes columns for Name, Unit, Check-In Date, Amount, Length of Stay, and Payment Type (Cash/Credit). If you haven't already, add these columns to your sheet to match your form fields.

Step 2: Creating Reports

Smartsheet's reporting feature can help you create detailed reports based on the data captured in your sheet. To report on revenue, occupancy, and cash/credit intake by date, follow these steps:

1. Go to the Navigation Panel and select Create New > Report.
    2. Choose a Row Report.
    3. In the report builder, select your sheet as the source.
      • Filter your data:To report by date, add a filter to include rows based on the Check-In Date column. You can set dynamic date ranges such as "This Month," "Last Month," or specify a custom range.
      • To analyze revenue, you can create summary fields in your report to sum the Amount column.
      • For occupancy, count the number of rows (or units) booked for each day.
      • To differentiate cash/credit intake, add filters or conditional formatting based on the Payment Type column.

Step 3: Summary Fields and Formulas

To get daily totals for Revenue and Occupancy, you might need to use Smartsheet's formulas directly in the sheet or within the report. For example:

• SUMIF can be used to total revenue for specific dates.
    • COUNTIF can help count the number of bookings per day.

Step 4: Creating Dashboards

For an even more visual way to report and analyze your data, consider creating a Dashboard:

1. Go to the + Create New and select Dashboard/Portal.
    2. Use Widget to add charts, metrics, or reports directly from your sheets.
    3. Configure widgets to display the data you need, such as daily revenue, occupancy rates, or payment types distribution.

Tips for Success:

• Regularly Update Your Form and Sheet: Ensure your form and the corresponding sheet are updated to capture all the information you need.
    • Automate Notifications: Use Smartsheet's automation features to get alerts for new entries or when specific criteria are met, such as a booking for a particular date range.
    • Leverage Smartsheet's Help Resources: Smartsheet offers comprehensive guides, webinars, and community forums that can provide additional insights into setting up reports and dashboards.

If you encounter any specific challenges or need further customization, feel free to reach out for more detailed guidance.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Neal_Avalon Staff

I hope you're well and safe!

Do you have anything already created in Excel or another system?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/13/24 Answer ✓

Hi @Neal_Avalon Staff,

It sounds like you're looking to leverage Smartsheet to its full potential for managing and reporting on your motel's operations. Based on the requirements you've outlined—capturing check-in details via a form and wanting to report on data by date for revenue, occupancy, and payment method—here's how you can set this up effectively in Smartsheet:

Step 1: Setting Up Your Sheet

First, ensure your check-in form captures all the necessary information. Your form should feed into a Smartsheet that includes columns for Name, Unit, Check-In Date, Amount, Length of Stay, and Payment Type (Cash/Credit). If you haven't already, add these columns to your sheet to match your form fields.

Step 2: Creating Reports

Smartsheet's reporting feature can help you create detailed reports based on the data captured in your sheet. To report on revenue, occupancy, and cash/credit intake by date, follow these steps:

1. Go to the Navigation Panel and select Create New > Report.
    2. Choose a Row Report.
    3. In the report builder, select your sheet as the source.
      • Filter your data:To report by date, add a filter to include rows based on the Check-In Date column. You can set dynamic date ranges such as "This Month," "Last Month," or specify a custom range.
      • To analyze revenue, you can create summary fields in your report to sum the Amount column.
      • For occupancy, count the number of rows (or units) booked for each day.
      • To differentiate cash/credit intake, add filters or conditional formatting based on the Payment Type column.

Step 3: Summary Fields and Formulas

To get daily totals for Revenue and Occupancy, you might need to use Smartsheet's formulas directly in the sheet or within the report. For example:

• SUMIF can be used to total revenue for specific dates.
    • COUNTIF can help count the number of bookings per day.

Step 4: Creating Dashboards

For an even more visual way to report and analyze your data, consider creating a Dashboard:

1. Go to the + Create New and select Dashboard/Portal.
    2. Use Widget to add charts, metrics, or reports directly from your sheets.
    3. Configure widgets to display the data you need, such as daily revenue, occupancy rates, or payment types distribution.

Tips for Success:

• Regularly Update Your Form and Sheet: Ensure your form and the corresponding sheet are updated to capture all the information you need.
    • Automate Notifications: Use Smartsheet's automation features to get alerts for new entries or when specific criteria are met, such as a booking for a particular date range.
    • Leverage Smartsheet's Help Resources: Smartsheet offers comprehensive guides, webinars, and community forums that can provide additional insights into setting up reports and dashboards.

If you encounter any specific challenges or need further customization, feel free to reach out for more detailed guidance.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Thanks so much - I have all the data in my sheet and the form feeds the sheet with the data, I was just getting hung up on how to report it. This helps