Auto Add a set of rows

I have a data entry sheet set up for the year. Image below. I will have forty of these. Each of the forty sheets will have 10-15 children below the ALL parent row you can see. Is there a way to have smartsheet automatically do this ....

1. If I have a master parent/child row sheet is there a way it will adjust if I adjust the master. The children row are team members and staffing can change often and how many could change. Right now, I would have to go into each of these 40 sheets any time there was a change and update them for each week after the current week. (most of the time it might just be a name change, but it could be adding/subtracting rows).
  2. I have it set up for the year right now by manually typing in each Saturday date in the Week Ending column and then copying the parent row ALL and the children rows below it. Then repeat for the year. Since I'll have 40 of these, it would be amazing if at the end of the year, there was an automation that would say, oh there's not an entry for next Saturday, I'll look at the master sheet (see question 1 above) or even the parent/child from the week above, copy that and then update the week.

Tags:

Answers

• MichaelTCA
    MichaelTCA ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @EEK

1. With lookup functions, such as INDEX/MATCH or INDEX/COLLECT, you can change data from a master file and have it update everywhere. I use this for labor rates, quotes, employee information, sales contact information, you name it. The master log should be a data table. You can use a hierarchy, but only if it's in a listed format. No random summary blocks.
    2. There's no automation to check for an entry without an entry being made. Everything is based on a trigger or schedule. Smartsheet is a "low code no code" software. Routines like this aren't possible with the base.

If you can have a target sheet recognize that data doesn't exist, then trigger a separate sheets automation to provide that data, all while using the base application, please let me know asap!

• EEK
    EEK ✭✭✭

Very helpful! I'll dig in and let you know if I need more help. Thank you! @MichaelTCA

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!