List of sheets in a Workspace using Bridge

Options

Using Smartsheet Bridge, I'm trying to get a list of sheets only in a specific workspace. I haven't yet found a way to get a list of sheets for a specific workspace by id for example.

I can list ALL the sheets... but that's not super helpful when I want just a subset of them. Only way I can think of is to have a report that lists the sheet names, then use bridge to get sheets based on those names.

Am I missing a way to get a list of sheets for a specific workspace in Bridge? Kind of surprised there isn't a module for that.

I suppose the other way would be to use the Javascript module if there isn't a "built in" way.

Tags:

Best Answer

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Darren Mullen,

To achieve the goal of getting a list of sheets in a specific workspace using Smartsheet Bridge, you're correct that there isn't a direct "built-in" module within Smartsheet Bridge that specifically fetches sheets by workspace ID. However, there are a couple of workarounds you can consider, including using Smartsheet API directly or creatively utilizing Smartsheet Bridge's capabilities alongside the API. Here's how you can approach it:

1. Directly Using Smartsheet API with JavaScript Module in Bridge:

If you're open to using the JavaScript module in Smartsheet Bridge, you can directly call the Smartsheet API to list sheets within a specific workspace. The Smartsheet API provides an endpoint to list all sheets within a workspace given the workspace ID. Here's a simplified approach:

1. Use the Smartsheet API Endpoint: The endpoint to get sheets in a workspace is /workspaces/{workspaceId}/sheets where {workspaceId} is the ID of the workspace you're interested in.
    2. JavaScript Module in Bridge: Utilize the JavaScript module to make an HTTP GET request to this endpoint. You'll need to include your Smartsheet API token in the request header for authentication.

Here's a basic example of what the JavaScript code might look like:

const axios = require('axios');
    const workspaceId = 'your_workspace_id_here'; // Replace with your actual workspace ID
    const apiToken = 'your_api_token_here'; // Replace with your actual API token

axios.get(`https://api.smartsheet.com/2.0/workspaces/${workspaceId}/sheets`, {
        headers: {
            'Authorization': `Bearer ${apiToken}`
        }
    })
    .then(response => {
        // Process the response to extract the list of sheets
        console.log(response.data); // This will contain your sheets in the specified workspace
    })
    .catch(error => {
        console.error(error);
    });

2. Using Smartsheet Bridge to Trigger a Custom Solution:

If you prefer a more integrated solution within Smartsheet Bridge without directly embedding API calls, you might consider the following workaround:

• Create a Smartsheet Report: Configure a report within Smartsheet to list sheets based on specific criteria, including workspace ID if possible. This might not directly filter by workspace ID, but you can use other filtering criteria to narrow down to the sheets you're interested in.
    • Use Smartsheet Bridge to Access the Report: You can then use Smartsheet Bridge to access this report, pulling the data into Bridge where it can be processed or acted upon further.

Considerations:

• API Token Security: When using the API directly, be mindful of how you manage and store your API token, especially when embedding it in scripts or using it in client-side code.
    • Rate Limits: Be aware of Smartsheet API's rate limits to avoid getting temporarily blocked from making further API calls.
    • API Version: Always check the latest Smartsheet API documentation for any changes or updates to endpoints and features.

Using the API directly offers more flexibility and might be more efficient for your specific use case, given the limitations within Smartsheet Bridge for this particular functionality.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Darren Mullen,

To achieve the goal of getting a list of sheets in a specific workspace using Smartsheet Bridge, you're correct that there isn't a direct "built-in" module within Smartsheet Bridge that specifically fetches sheets by workspace ID. However, there are a couple of workarounds you can consider, including using Smartsheet API directly or creatively utilizing Smartsheet Bridge's capabilities alongside the API. Here's how you can approach it:

1. Directly Using Smartsheet API with JavaScript Module in Bridge:

If you're open to using the JavaScript module in Smartsheet Bridge, you can directly call the Smartsheet API to list sheets within a specific workspace. The Smartsheet API provides an endpoint to list all sheets within a workspace given the workspace ID. Here's a simplified approach:

1. Use the Smartsheet API Endpoint: The endpoint to get sheets in a workspace is /workspaces/{workspaceId}/sheets where {workspaceId} is the ID of the workspace you're interested in.
    2. JavaScript Module in Bridge: Utilize the JavaScript module to make an HTTP GET request to this endpoint. You'll need to include your Smartsheet API token in the request header for authentication.

Here's a basic example of what the JavaScript code might look like:

const axios = require('axios');
    const workspaceId = 'your_workspace_id_here'; // Replace with your actual workspace ID
    const apiToken = 'your_api_token_here'; // Replace with your actual API token

axios.get(`https://api.smartsheet.com/2.0/workspaces/${workspaceId}/sheets`, {
        headers: {
            'Authorization': `Bearer ${apiToken}`
        }
    })
    .then(response => {
        // Process the response to extract the list of sheets
        console.log(response.data); // This will contain your sheets in the specified workspace
    })
    .catch(error => {
        console.error(error);
    });

2. Using Smartsheet Bridge to Trigger a Custom Solution:

If you prefer a more integrated solution within Smartsheet Bridge without directly embedding API calls, you might consider the following workaround:

• Create a Smartsheet Report: Configure a report within Smartsheet to list sheets based on specific criteria, including workspace ID if possible. This might not directly filter by workspace ID, but you can use other filtering criteria to narrow down to the sheets you're interested in.
    • Use Smartsheet Bridge to Access the Report: You can then use Smartsheet Bridge to access this report, pulling the data into Bridge where it can be processed or acted upon further.

Considerations:

• API Token Security: When using the API directly, be mindful of how you manage and store your API token, especially when embedding it in scripts or using it in client-side code.
    • Rate Limits: Be aware of Smartsheet API's rate limits to avoid getting temporarily blocked from making further API calls.
    • API Version: Always check the latest Smartsheet API documentation for any changes or updates to endpoints and features.

Using the API directly offers more flexibility and might be more efficient for your specific use case, given the limitations within Smartsheet Bridge for this particular functionality.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Darren Mullen
    Darren Mullen ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Bassam Khalil Thank you for the confirmation that I wasn't missing something simple in Bridge.

I believe for this implementation if we decide to do it, I would use the javascript module vs hosting the script externally.

Also much appreciated for the detailed example! I'm sure it will help others too who come across this post. I've scripted other integrations with Smartsheet in Google Apps Script/Javascript, so very comfortable with that approach.