Configuring Email Alerts with Attachments and Messages

BB2791
BB2791 ✭✭✭✭
edited 02/14/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello,

I set up 2 automations:

1) To generate a document on a row when a checkbox in the "Send Offer Letter" column is checked

2) To send an email with the generated document in the row when "Send Offer Letter" is checked

I'm having issues getting the email to send with an attachment. I've reviewed similar threads and ensured my configurations are correct. Here's the first configuration I tried:

This configuration sends a horribly formatted, confusing email but it DOES attach the pdf document that was generated:

When I updated the message in the alert, it fixed the confusing email format but the attachment did NOT attach:

Does anyone understand what is going on and how to combine having a simple message in the alert AND the attachment? I'm not sure if this is a bug or just that there's a very complicated way to ensure the functionality works as it seems it should.

Answers

• Hi @BB2791

Attachments will only be included in the email if the attachment is added at the same time as the trigger action, or if the trigger is the attachment itself. Here's more information: Select what’s included in an alert or request 

Based on this, my assumption is that for your second test, you may have been testing on a row that already had attachments, versus one where you're adding an attachment at the same time as clicking the "Checked" box.

There are some Community discussions where members have used Update Requests to show an attachment every time if that helps. Please add your vote and add a comment with your scenario to this Product Idea; Automations: include attachments

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• BB2791
    BB2791 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Genevieve P. I didn't realize that I basically need to combine the two automations in order to ensure the attachment is emailed. I have also tried using Update Requests which was a great solution however the issue with the link only working one time killed that as an option for me.