I am trying to get the highlighted formula to exclude weekend days.

Options

The way the sheet is currently setup, each row is a different job. there are no parent or child lines. I am trying to set a milestone date from one department task to another. However, the formula doesn't seem to recognize or account for when dates fall on a weekend. 1/6/24 and 1/7/24 are both weekend days. How can i write this formula to do that? Thanks,

Tags:

Answers

• Amanda Carta
    Options

Try this

= workday([Target Completion: Design}@row,[Fabric ordered milestone]@row

• Jason L.
    Options

that did not seem to work.

I get this error: "#incorrect argument set"

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Jason L.

To correct the incorrect argument set error

• The } in the formula should be a ]
    • The formula needs a ) at the very end

However, I am concerned it might not work for you as your milestone column looks like it might be a duration column and the workday function needs a number - ie 1 rather than 1d. You may just see an invalid data type error instead.

Have a try, and let us know what happens.

• Jason L.
    Jason L. ✭✭
    edited 02/20/24
    Options

I changed the all the "Milestone column" from a duration to a text/number column type. Then i tried adding workday to the formula like this: =WORKDAY([Target Completion: Design]@row + [Fabric ordered milestone]@row)

I am now getting #INCORRECT ARGUMENT SET.

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi

You have swapped the comma for a plus sign. Try

=WORKDAY([Target Completion: Design]@row, [Fabric ordered milestone]@row)

• Jason L.
    Options

I believe I figured out my own issue. After playing around with the formula, I got it to work. I don't fully understand why it worked but here is the new version of it:

=WORKDAY([Target Completion: Design]@row, [Fabric ordered milestone]@row)

I needed to add a "comma" after the first "@ROW" and then remove the "+" from between the date columns. It now is accounting for weekends and holidays. If anyone can explain why this works i would love to know. Thanks.

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, somehow in correcting the issue with the wrong type of } and the missing ) you replaced the comma with a plus sign. The syntax for the WORKDAY function is the date then a comma then the number of days to add to that date.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!