Workflow activation bug

Mounika
Mounika ✭✭✭
edited 02/17/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi all,

I have created a workflow, where, when any changes are made to specific columns ( E.g: Project Name, Category, Department, Funding) within a sheet, and another column named "Reviewed?" (which has a dropdown list Pending, Reviewed, to be discussed) is changed to Reviewed, it should generate an alert to specified person. However, this workflow is activating even if no changes are being made any of the specified columns and when "Reviewed?" coulmn is being changed from Pending to Reviewed.

(In general, whenever the new form with new project information was submitted by respective department, an approval request (either to review or to discuss) will be sent to administrator. As soon as the form is submitted the "Reviewed?" column will saved as "Pending" and after the administrator open the request and select "Reviewed", the above workflow stated is being activated, even though no changes are being made to any of those columns, it is only the "Reviewed?" coulmn that is being changed to "Reviewed").This workflow is in place, to let the administrator get alert, if somebody make changes to project information after it has been Reviewed. Can someone please help me understand what might be the issue? Thanks in Advance!

Answers

• Mounika
    Mounika ✭✭✭

Hi, can somebody please help me with my question, I am eagerly waiting for the response. Thank you!

• JamesB
    JamesB ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Mounika

I think the issue is SS is seeing those rows as changed when the form is submitted and then accessed for the first time. Try this.

Create a helper column. In the Helper column use the formula

=if([Reviewed?]@row="Reviewed",1,0)

Then in your automation have it look for when your helper column changes to 1 as your trigger.

• Mounika
    Mounika ✭✭✭

Hi @JamesB

Thank you for the response, this worked. But I have same workflow in another sheet, where, whenever a new project information is submitted, "Reviewed?" column will be automated to Pending status and send an email alert to admin to either approve or decline (needs discussion) the process. However, in this sheet I don't have any issue with the workflow, when the "Reviewed?" is Reviewed and any changes are made to specific, it is generating an email alert as needed (only when changes are made to those specific columns) unlike the current one, where the workflow is being activated whenever a "Reviewed?" column changes to Reviewed / To be discussed, even when no changes are made to actual cells listed in the workflow and all the columns are highlighted in yellow.

I am trying the reason behind this (the actual workflow is created to generate email alert to admin, if any changes are being made to specific columns after the project information has been reviewed)