COUNT multiple items in sheet summary fields

Hello

I am trying to calculate a sheet summary field to show how many times a value appears in the Location column.

I am using the Count if function but it is only returning a value when the "location" is presented on it's own.

For eg: my formula is =COUNTIF([*Location]:[*Location], "VIC"). This formula responds with a value of 2 when really it is 4. It is only counting when VIC appears on it's own in this column.

Does anyone know where i am going wrong and what formula i should be using?

The idea is I will have 4 different field summary fields counting how many times each value appears then i will present this on a dashboard

i.e countif "vic", countif "nsw" etc

Thank you

Best Answer

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/19/24 Answer ✓

Hi @Laura G,

Try using the following Formula

=COUNTIFS(Location:Location, CONTAINS("VIC", @cell))

Her is a screen shot shows the result.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/19/24 Answer ✓

Hi @Laura G,

Try using the following Formula

=COUNTIFS(Location:Location, CONTAINS("VIC", @cell))

Her is a screen shot shows the result.

PMP Certified

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Laura G
    Laura G ✭✭✭✭

That worked! Thank you very much

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Laura G,

Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

PMP Certified