Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Report Builder: Adding Columns

Options
intern_user
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Hello, 

I am building a Project Repository in Smartsheet. I am creating instructions for how to build a specific project report from the repository and looking at the report builder. 

Is there a function to be able to "select all" of the "columns" to be included in the report?

In addition, is there a way to set them up in an order that is not alphabetical, without having to sit there and drag all of them?

Thanks, 

Intern

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

All columns needed to be selected individually, either in the Report Builder or once the Report has run.

If you don't want to sort them alphabetically, you need to build the sort order into the sheets and then sort on that. 

Is the Report looking at one sheet or many?

Craig

• intern_user
    Options

Thanks for your reply Craig!

The report is just pulled from one sheet in order to capture a snapshot of specific data. 

How do you build the sort order?

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just create a special column in the sheet, name it something like [Sort Order].

Put numbers in the column to get the sort the way you want it to be.

You can use a formula to get the row number from the one above.

If row 1 was set to 23, for example, then

=[Sort Order]1 + 1 

would be 24.

If you put that equation into row 2's cell, then copy it down to the rest of the column, you'd have all numbers starting at 23.

You likely want some of those to be specific numbers to get the order you want, but you get the idea, I hope.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.