How can I save a default value for a hidden Contact List?

I am trying to set a default value for a hidden contact list but even after clicking "Save", when I refresh the page and return to edit the form, the default value doesn't save.

Screenshot after clicking "Save":

Screenshot after refreshing the page:

I want to use this field so I can send the same email to 2 different emails: the submitter and an admin email.

I have other fields with default values (text/number, date, dropdown list) and have not come across the issue.

Answers

• Jason Albrecht
    Jason Albrecht ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @cyrf400

Thank you for your question.

Excuse my ignorance, but, may I ask what you mean by 'refreshing the page' and why you are refreshing?

Are your using the browser's Refresh button, or are you using the back arrow in Smartsheet edit forms page to return to the sheet? What happens if you don't use the Refresh button and use the form link in a different browser, while you have the form edit page still open with the default email saved?

Also, this may be a silly question, but is the Validation set to Email?

Hope this helps and that you have a great day,

Jason Albrecht MBA, MBus(AppFin), DipFinMgt

LinkedIn profile - Open to work

• Hi @Jason Albrecht

I'm refreshing the webpage to ensure the default value saved. I've tried using a new tab and a different browser. When I close the form editor and go back into the form editor, the default value isn't saved. I've saved the form and clicked "Open Form" and the default value isn't saved.

I'm using a contact list, not a text/number field so there's no validation for a contact list. I need this field to be a contact list so I can send the automated email to "send to contacts in a cell" and select 2 different fields:

I need the "Email" field to have the default value.

• Jason Albrecht
    Jason Albrecht ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @cyrf400

I've tried to replicate your issue. When I save and refresh, the contact email that I chose from a multi select contact list is still there and populates the relative cell when a form is submitted.

Unless someone else in the community can help with this conundrum (such as @Genevieve P.), I recommend contacting Smartsheet Support to create a support ticket.

Hope this helps and that you have a great day,

Jason Albrecht MBA, MBus(AppFin), DipFinMgt

LinkedIn profile - Open to work

• Hey @cyrf400

I'm also unable to replicate this, so I would recommend opening a Support ticket.

In the meantime, you could also use an Assign People workflow to assign that email to the Contact column when a row comes in, and then ensure your next workflow happens only once that field has been assigned.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• @cyrf400

I was also experiencing this recently for the first time. It was only happening in specific fields and others were working as expected.

I was able to correct the issue by deactivating "restrict to list value only" setting in the malfunctioning columns. I am not exactly sure why this worked, but it seems to.

Hope this helps.