Importing Excel Data without overwriting formula columns.

I have data in Excel that I need to import on a weekly basis into Smartsheet (lets say columns A-F) I would like to have columns (lets say G-H) with formulas. How do I import data each week replacing the previous week's data (only columns A-F) without overwriting the formulas? Is it possible to do this via Datashuttle or any other way?

any sugguestions please?

Best Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @ParveenShahul,

Yes, you can accomplish this using DataShuttle. Alternatively, you can opt for a simpler method by selecting the data in the Excel sheet (columns A-F) and copying it using the Ctrl+C key. Then, go to the SmartSheet and select the first cell in column A, and press Ctrl+V to paste.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @ParveenShahul,

To use Data Shuttle, you must first create a helper sheet containing your columns A to F. Ensure you use the same unique ID for each row in both the main and the helper sheet. Then, update the helper sheet using Data Shuttle and link the updated values to the main sheet, which contains the formula. This can be achieved by utilizing functions like INDEX/COLLECT.

PMP Certified

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/27/24 Answer ✓

Hi @ParveenShahul,

Perfect please don't hesitate to call if you need more help. Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

PMP Certified

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @ParveenShahul,

Yes, you can accomplish this using DataShuttle. Alternatively, you can opt for a simpler method by selecting the data in the Excel sheet (columns A-F) and copying it using the Ctrl+C key. Then, go to the SmartSheet and select the first cell in column A, and press Ctrl+V to paste.

PMP Certified

• Thank you - I may just end up doing the copy & paste method! Can you explain how I can do it via Data Shuttle please? I see the options are only to replace the entire sheet which clears the existing formulas. I would like to reduce manual interventions as much as possible.

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @ParveenShahul,

To use Data Shuttle, you must first create a helper sheet containing your columns A to F. Ensure you use the same unique ID for each row in both the main and the helper sheet. Then, update the helper sheet using Data Shuttle and link the updated values to the main sheet, which contains the formula. This can be achieved by utilizing functions like INDEX/COLLECT.

PMP Certified

• Perfect - I will do this. Thank you!

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/27/24 Answer ✓

Hi @ParveenShahul,

Perfect please don't hesitate to call if you need more help. Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

PMP Certified