Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Taking three customized smartsheets and putting them into a new Project sheet

Options
Bill Peck
Bill Peck
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

We have three smartsheets that are all unique, but need to combine them into one Project sheet.

They're medium size, so copying and pasting might work, but wouldn't that require all formats to be the same? That would take a fair amount of effort to do.

I suppose I could export them all and then manually set them up in the same format, but what about attachments, notes, etc.???

thoughts?

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Given no further details, this is what I would probably do:

1. Make a backup (Save as New) of the most important/most used sheet (Sheet #1)

2. From Sheet #2, select all rows and Copy Row to Another Sheet (Sheet #1)

- select "Include Attachments" and "Include Comments"

This will:

a. Put Primary Column data into the Primary Column of the new sheet, regardless what is it named.

b. Create new columns in Sheet #1 if there is not a matching named column already there.

c. Move over all data and formatting. NOT FORMULAS, NOT CONDITIONAL FORMATTING

d. Add all new rows at the bottom.

3. Repeat 2 for Sheet #3

4. Start cleanup/reconcile. I would likely do each column one at a time. Any blank columns in the columns that existed in Sheet #1 before the first copy and likely columns that have different names.

There might be more, but that would be how I would start.

Craig

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/26/17
    Options

Craig's suggestion is great... but If you do have similar data in the separate sheets but have differing column names I would suggest renaming the columns so they match exactly. This will save you from having to cut/paste data between columns. 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree with Mike.

Cut & Paste is the Work of the Devil.

Craig

• Bill Peck
    Options

excellent, Craig, bulls-eye, thanks!

• Bill Peck
    Options

Mike, very good point! Thx ...