Remaining Budget Column Formula

Options

I have an intake form where we receive campaign budgets. We are trying to track when our campaigns as a whole start spending over our expected Overall Budget. I need a column formula that can calculate the remaining budget when a new campaign is added. Currently, the intake form is set up to have new campaigns be added at the top.

Below is a screenshot of an Excel version of this where the budget cell is just =[new budget] - [previous remaining budget] and the first row (CPN-1) is =[overall budget] - [campaign budget CPN-1]

Any formulas I saw that were similar included excel functions like ROW or OFFSET which Smartsheet doesn't have. I would love any advice or recommendations on how to solve this!

Best Answer

• Carson Penticuff
    Carson Penticuff ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I am making a few assumptions here... if those are incorrect, this would need to be tweaked somewhat:

• Your sheet uses the same consistent ID scheme as in your screenshot. Missing IDs will not cause an issue, but different formats (even including spaces) will throw it off
    • "Overall Budget" is stored in a field in the sheet summary. This doesn't have to be the case... it could be setup to work other ways.

Give this a try and see if it does what you want:

=[Overall Budget]# - SUMIFS([Campaign Budget]:[Campaign Budget], [Campaign ID]:[Campaign ID], VALUE(RIGHT(@cell, LEN(@cell) - 4)) <= VALUE(RIGHT([Campaign ID]@row, LEN([Campaign ID]@row) - 4)))

Answers

• Carson Penticuff
    Carson Penticuff ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I am making a few assumptions here... if those are incorrect, this would need to be tweaked somewhat:

• Your sheet uses the same consistent ID scheme as in your screenshot. Missing IDs will not cause an issue, but different formats (even including spaces) will throw it off
    • "Overall Budget" is stored in a field in the sheet summary. This doesn't have to be the case... it could be setup to work other ways.

Give this a try and see if it does what you want:

=[Overall Budget]# - SUMIFS([Campaign Budget]:[Campaign Budget], [Campaign ID]:[Campaign ID], VALUE(RIGHT(@cell, LEN(@cell) - 4)) <= VALUE(RIGHT([Campaign ID]@row, LEN([Campaign ID]@row) - 4)))

• aplunkett02
    Options

@Carson Penticuff

You are a rockstar! That worked! Thank you so much!!

• Carson Penticuff
    Carson Penticuff ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Happy to help!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!