why doesn't Smartsheet save???

Others have asked the same question, but it still never gets answered by Smartsheet.

How am I certain to login and be sure that my work is saved after clicking the save icon and/or Ctrl+S?

This is a real problem that everyone should be aware of and understand how to resolve.

It is not productive to waste hours of time only to not have your work be saved. Additionally, there are colleagues that rely on the information that I need to input in the schedule.

I've tried everything. Other browsers, changing my password, logging in directly with my password Vs. Microsoft or Vs. Google connections.

The most frustrating thing is Smartsheet will show that your work is being saved after you click the "save icon" or "ctrl + S". But when you exit and come back. GONE. NOTHING SAVES. And Smartsheet support doesn't provide any answers.

Again, This is a real problem that needs real effort by Smartsheet to resolve and share with the community. Without this support the credibility of Smartsheet gets tainted and is not considered are reliable product.

Answers

• Dakota Haeffner
    Dakota Haeffner ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't say I've ever had this issue, but I spam that save button pretty often. My mindset is if that pop up comes up saying 'You haven't saved your work in the last 10 minutes.' or whatever I waited to long. Do you have multiple tabs open? I know how frustrating that is when you put in an hour of work and it disappears!

I don't have any solutions for you but maybe it's an internet issue. I can say honestly I've had the issue more with Microsoft applications than Smartsheets.

• This is the second time I've implemented Smartsheet and in both environments the autosave function has never worked to my satisfaction and we need to compulsively hit the Save button the avoid losing anything. The most common result is as follows:

1) Change a record and click OK

2) Wait until well after the required amount of autosave time (1 minute in our case)

3) Save button is still enabled

4) Navigating away from the page fires the "Changes you made may not be saved." browser pop-up

5) Leaving the page discards the changes made

Eventually the Save button will become disabled and at that point the changes to the record are saved, but it's always longer than the setting. This is independent of the browser used or the sheet we're working in.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @GrantKiwi

I hope you're well and safe!

Excellent news! There are enhancements coming!

In the near future, you’ll be able to forget about hitting the save button thanks to auto-save. Plus, with functionality that lays the groundwork for real-time collaboration, you’ll be able to work in a sheet simultaneously with your colleagues and stay effortlessly synced with the latest, most up-to-date version of your work. 

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• I'm interested in the development plan for this autosave feature - when can we expect it to arrive?

Specifically, when using smartsheet as a tab within a Microsoft teams channel, it's easy to forget to click save, and there is no prompt to save or when you navigating away from the tab, it doesn't fire the "Changes you made may not be saved." browser pop-up, because it's in teams, not a browser.