Is there a 'clean' printing option without sharing reports and base sheets?

Options

I have provided a dynamic view for my users to see content on-screen. However, I've been asked to provide a print option as well.

Normally, I would export a report to PDF for 'clean' printing [that is, preserves layout and colours with pretty explanatory note in header]. However, I don't want my users to have access to the base sheet, which would be necessary if I gave them access to the report.

Is there another solution within Smartsheet? Can users export reports to PDF if I only give them viewer permissions?

Best Answer

• Ric T
    Ric T ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @22Wordsmith,

I don't believe so. Currently, Dynamic View only allow users to export to .csv (screenshot below). From there, users can generate a PDF, but that doesn't preserve the layout, colours, and headers as you highlighted above.

How I get around generating a PDF for 'clean' printing is to:

1. Create a Report with the columns you need

2. Use Summaries and Sort to organize your entries

3. Export to a Word Document template, c/p the information from the report and create PDF from there:

It's not a straightforward export, but it is print-ready and gives me a template to just c/p the information from the .csv

Cheers,

Ric

Answers

• Ric T
    Ric T ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @22Wordsmith,

I don't believe so. Currently, Dynamic View only allow users to export to .csv (screenshot below). From there, users can generate a PDF, but that doesn't preserve the layout, colours, and headers as you highlighted above.

How I get around generating a PDF for 'clean' printing is to:

1. Create a Report with the columns you need

2. Use Summaries and Sort to organize your entries

3. Export to a Word Document template, c/p the information from the report and create PDF from there:

It's not a straightforward export, but it is print-ready and gives me a template to just c/p the information from the .csv

Cheers,

Ric

• 22Wordsmith
    22Wordsmith ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks, Ric. Because the users will want a 'live' view I've settled on sharing the material with them as viewer only and not notifying them about it. Their only access will be through a link on a dashboard.

• Ric T
    Ric T ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

👍 sounds good!