How to add hours in the column if date format is in text/number?

Options

Hi All,

New here in Smartsheet. I would like to ask what formula can I use in column 5 to achieve the expected date and time if I add column 2 and column 3.

Current Formula in column 4 is =IFERROR([Column 2]row 3 + ([Column 3]row3 / 24), 100)

If I put in actual excel file it is working as per expected result in column 5 but when I transfer in Smartsheet, the result in column 4 shows incorrect value.

All columns format are in text/numbers.

Thank you in advance.

Tags:

Best Answer

• Jason Albrecht
    Jason Albrecht ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Asnithaa

Give this a go...

=REPLACE([Column 2]@row, FIND(":", [Column 2]@row) - 2, 2, VALUE(MID([Column 2]@row, FIND(":", [Column 2]@row) - 2, 2)) + [Column 3]@row)

That said, it doesn't account for errors. For instance, what do you want to have happen should the two 'times' add up over 24:00?

Will you need the expected result to be read as date and time by other formulas?

If so, then there's a whole other slew of functions that need to be applied.

Hope this helps and that you have a great day,

Jason Albrecht MBA, MBus(AppFin), DipFinMgt

LinkedIn profile - Open to work

Answers

• Jason Albrecht
    Jason Albrecht ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Asnithaa

Give this a go...

=REPLACE([Column 2]@row, FIND(":", [Column 2]@row) - 2, 2, VALUE(MID([Column 2]@row, FIND(":", [Column 2]@row) - 2, 2)) + [Column 3]@row)

That said, it doesn't account for errors. For instance, what do you want to have happen should the two 'times' add up over 24:00?

Will you need the expected result to be read as date and time by other formulas?

If so, then there's a whole other slew of functions that need to be applied.

Hope this helps and that you have a great day,

Jason Albrecht MBA, MBus(AppFin), DipFinMgt

LinkedIn profile - Open to work

• Asnithaa
    Asnithaa ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Jason Albrecht

Thank you for the help! Formula is working fine and able to see our expected result. Have a great day ahead!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!