Is there a formula to add check boxes from a row?

Options

I have a form, where the form user is checking click boxes. I am trying to total the number of check boxes so I can total their entry quickly. Is this possible?

I have tried adding columns to give the check boxes a value, then tried counting those added columns. I am at a loss, and feeling like it can not do what I am trying to ask Smartsheet to do.

Tags:

Answers

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can count the number of checked checkboxes in a column using a COUNTIF formula. For example, if your checkboxes are in a column called Column2, the formula would be:

=COUNTIF([Column2]:[Column2], 1)

This means, count if the value is colum2 is 1 (i.e. checked).

This does the same thing:

=COUNTIF([Column2]:[Column2], true)

• @KPH Yes, Thank you! I have used that formula to successfully give value to the check boxes. However I can not seem to find a formula to count that value. see picture

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Michelle Morrison

Are you trying to count the checked boxes in a row rather than a column? If so, you can change the reference like this, assuming the two columns to count are adjacent.

=COUNTIF([Column2]@row:[Column3]@row, true)

It looks like you want to count Week 3 to Week 8 and put the total into the Total column, if so the formula would be

=COUNTIF([Week 3 - July 8th-12th]@row:[Week 8 August 12th-16th]@row, true)

If this is not what you are doing can you explain what columns in your screen shot you want to count and where the total should appear?

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!