I can't change or copy a Sheet Name as an admin

Options
MMcLain
MMcLain ✭✭✭✭✭

Dear All:

I am made an admin to Sheets that belong to someome else for different departments. I just noticed that I can copy and paste a Sheet name as an admin in some Sheets, but am unable to do the same with other Sheets. Are there ways for a Sheet owner to restrict that?

I am mapping Sheets by using DataMesh for a major project, I would like to know if anything else can be restricted for other sheet admins.

I don't own this Sheet but can highlight the sheet name, copy and paste: This belongs to a workspace that I am also an admin.

This is another one that I am made an admin but I can't highlight the sheet name, copy and paste. This is a stand-alone Sheet.

Thank you and have a great weekend!

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @MMcLain

Ah! My apologies, I just remembered the difference:

• If you're an Admin of the Workspace you can change sheet names
    • If you're only an Admin of the individual sheet, you cannot change the sheet name

Would you be able to ask the team to share you to the Workspace where the items are located, versus just the individual sheet within that Workspace?

Cheers!

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @MMcLain

You can change sheet names as an Admin, yes! 🙂

If you're unable to edit a sheet name, can you clarify exactly how you're accessing the sheet? (Mobile, web, desktop app) and that you've verified you are shared to it with Admin permissions? (Versus being a System Admin but only shared with Editor on this sheet).

• MMcLain
    MMcLain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Good morning @Genevieve_B ! I hope your weekend was restful.

I am not a system admin, and yes, the sheet was shared with me with Admin permissions. I access the Sheet from my work computer (pc). I don't have this issue with any other sheets with Admin permissions from any other teams. However, every single sheet shared by this team with Admin access doesn't allow me to edit a sheet name (my real purpose is to copy and paste the sheet name for automation and mapping.) It's very odd. Thank you for looking into it.

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hey @MMcLain

Thank you for confirming all these details! One last question - since these sheets are being shared from outside of your team, can you clarify what plan type they're on? If this team is on a separate plan, such as a Pro Plan, then you won't be able to edit content (even as an Admin). Is it possible this is the case?

• MMcLain
    MMcLain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Genevieve P. They are not from an external team, per se. It is our very own Onboarding Department so they have the exact same plan as I do. I don't think they can be on a different plan without me also having it...

• MMcLain
    MMcLain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

By the way, our plan is "Business".

• MMcLain
    MMcLain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Genevieve P.

Onboarding just confirmed that they have the same plan: "Business". Thank you so much!

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @MMcLain

Ah! My apologies, I just remembered the difference:

• If you're an Admin of the Workspace you can change sheet names
    • If you're only an Admin of the individual sheet, you cannot change the sheet name

Would you be able to ask the team to share you to the Workspace where the items are located, versus just the individual sheet within that Workspace?

Cheers!

Genevieve

• MMcLain
    MMcLain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Genevieve P. That's it!! I remember asking them last week - are those in a Workspace? They told me they don't use Workspaces... Thank you so much for figuring this out for me!

• MMcLain
    MMcLain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Genevieve P. Good morning, the "plot thickens"...

This is still on DataMesh:

Because of when work email address becomes available in the process, can I:

1. Use DataMesh to "Copy and Add" Personal Email Address from Sheet A to Sheet B so we at least have the Personal Email Address for early-process communication?
    2. Here is what happends next in the Data Flow: Use DataMesh to "Copy and Add" Personal Email Address from Sheet B to Sheets C & D so we at least have the Personal Email Address for early-process communication?
    3. Here is my theroy and I would like your weigh-in on whether it will actually work: Step 3 in the Data Flow is to use DataMesh "Cell Link" to update "Personal + Work Email Addresses" from Sheet C to Sheets A, B, D and E so that ALL Sheets end up with both Personal and Work Email Addresses?

Will I have any conflict with the DataMesh Configs in Step 1 and Step 3?

Please note: All Email Columns in all Sheets are named the same with the same column properties (Allow multiple contacts per cell & Not "Restrict to list values only").

Thank you and have a great afternoon.

Megan

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hey @MMcLain

Apologies for the delay! I'm not sure I quite understand your set-up or requirements.

If you use the cell-link option then when you make changes to Sheet C then it will update across your other sheets without needing to use DataMesh again.

I would also personally look to see if a Report would work instead of some of your sheets. Report can be used across multiple sheets, and the data in them is live (so it always displays what's currently in the underlying sheet without needing cell-links).

Cheers,

Genevieve

• MMcLain
    MMcLain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you@Genevieve P. . Actually, I have to use Report A (from Sheet) A to populate Sheet B, then Report B (from Sheet B) to populate Sheets C and D (It's always the same 7 core columns) becaues I have to filter and only move selected candidates every step of the way.

Only one email address is available at the beginning of the process when Sheet A/Report A is used as the source; When candidates go through other steps and are at the steps carried out in Sheets C and D, the other email address becomes available - this is the time that I need to make both email addresses available in all Sheets: A, B, C and D. How do I populate something that becomes available much later in the process for everything including the initial target sheet for mapping?