Index Match is pulling correctly and then starts duplicating wrong values in cell

SHELLSIE
SHELLSIE
edited 03/18/24 in Formulas and Functions

Hello, I am trying to pull in the email address from a master contact list into a different contact list with pay rates. I am using this formula: =INDEX({EMAIL}, MATCH([Full Name]@row, {FULLNAME})) and initially it is pulling the correct email address to the correct individual, then further down the page it starts duplicating the same persons email address for the incorrect name and I can't figure out why.

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Try a zero in the third portion of the MATCH function to indicate an exact match instead of just a close match.

=INDEX({EMAIL}, MATCH([Full Name]@row, {FULLNAME}, 0))

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Scott Orsey
    Scott Orsey ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

You'll want to review the inputs for the MATCH function. As written, MATCH assumes that the values are entered alphabetically and in order. Instead, you likely want an EXACT match which doesn't require alphabetical order, so you'll need to add in the third argument with a "0" like this:

=INDEX({EMAIL}, MATCH([Full Name]@row, {FULLNAME},0))

Hope this helps

Be well

If my response was helpful or answered your question please be sure to upvote it, mark it asawesome, or mark it as the accepted answer!

• For some reason when I enter it with the 0 I get back this #NO MATCH

• Jason Albrecht
    Jason Albrecht ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @SHELLSIE

I would check the Full Name row, to make sure there are not extra spaces " " after the name.

e.g.: "Jason " and "Jason" will not match, and yet it looks the same.

Hope this helps and that you have a great day,

Jason Albrecht MBA, MBus(AppFin), DipFinMgt

LinkedIn profile - Open to work

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Double check that you do in fact have a match in the {Full Name} range based on [Full Name]@row. Are you able to provide some screenshots for further troubleshooting?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!