Linking Parent and Subtasks from a sheet into a report

Options

Hi! I am creating a report of tasks that are in various stages, and some of the tasks have a parent/child relationship.

I already tried the 'Helper column' to identify parent tasks. Is there a formula to use to identify child tasks?

Also - Is there a formula I could use where instead of just listing the Parent Task Name in the cell, that it could automatically put in a link to jump to that row in the report?

Answers

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @samsamscott2

For question 1

How do you define child tasks? Are they any task that has a parent, or any task that does not have a child? You can write a formula for either.

If you want to find the rows that don't have children of their own, you can use

COUNT(CHILDREN(Tasks@row))=0

If you want to find rows that have parents (and may or may not have children of their own), you can use

COUNT(ANCESTORS(Tasks@row))>0

For question 2

Are you trying to link from a report to a row in a sheet, or from a sheet to a row in a report, or from a sheet to a row in the same sheet?

• samsamscott2
    Options

@KPH

For Child tasks - I don't need to know the count of child tasks. I would prefer the name of the child task instead.

For linking - I would prefer for it to be a link from a row in that report that will jump to that row in the same report.. is that possible? Below is my scenario I'm working with:

1. Our team uses a sheet to track our internal tasks
    2. We need to create a report to show our tasks that need external approval
    3. The Report is grouped by status (backlog; in progress; ready for review; complete; etc.)
    4. I would like in the report to have a column (or two) that shows any parent or child relationships. Because the report is grouped by status, the tasks may be in different statuses, so I would prefer that it is a link that jumps to the specific row within that same report.
  • KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sorry @samsamscott2

By identify, I thought you meant find which ones are the child rows. Can you share the formula you have use to identify parent tasks as that night explain what you are looking for? Or maybe a screen shot of your sheet (hiding confidential information).

• samsamscott2
    Options

@KPH I'm using PARENT([Task Name]@row) to identify if a row has a parent task.

Here is a screenshot of what the report looks like. Grouped by Status, and I have a column for "Parent Tasks". In this column, it will list the Task Name if the row has a parent task. Is there a way to make this a link that will jump the user straight to the parent task row?

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @samsamscott2

I do not think you can link to a row in a report.

You can link to a row in a sheet but I believe the only way to get the row URL is to click on the row and copy the URL. You can't write a formula to find the link. You could add a column with the row link for each parent row and then use a formula to display this on the child row, in the same way as you do Parent Name, but this will be a link to the sheet, not the report.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!