How can I have someone see only their data on a report without access to base sheet?

mtk5200
mtk5200 ✭✭
edited 03/20/24 in Smartsheet Basics

I would like something where people will fill out a form about their retirement plans and that info goes to a sheet. On that form, before answering the last question, i would like them to click a link and view only their previous entries. I don't want them to see everyone's entries because it's confidential. Here's what i've tried:

• created a report filtered by Current User and could use the link but it won't show them anything without access to the base sheet
  • published the filtered report but then people can only see what I see.
  • published the filtered report and put it on a dashboard as the following but still could only see what i see:
  • ----as web content with a link
  • ----and web content with embedded code
  • published the base sheet with a filter for the current user but i couldn't see a way to lock down the filter.
  • the only thing that seems to work is a dynamic view of the base sheet and my organization doesn't pay for that. I don't know how it let me test it without it being part of our package. It doesn't automatically show all text if it's a long response. you have to drag out the width of the columns each time you view it, which isn't a deal breaker but not great.

Any ideas?

Tags:

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @mtk5200

I hope you're well and safe!

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• Premium App, Dynamic View
    • Premium App, WorkApps
    • I recently developed a (what I call), Dynamic View Light. It's quite advanced, but in short, it's using cross-sheet formulas and INDEX/MATCH and a specific structure and method so it's only possible to show data that should be available.

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• mtk5200
    mtk5200 ✭✭

I'm asking my admin if sharing workapps to people without a license is part of our license package. If so, that's a possibility. I just tested it with someone who has a license. Dynamic view did work for us and weirdly let me share it with others but i don't think it's in our package. i double checked on that as well.

What would the other option be with formulas? I'm pretty good with them so I would be fine with giving that a try.

Thanks!

Morgan

• SmartWay360
    SmartWay360 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

You could try to publish the report on the Dashboard with filter the Current user (if view is sufficient). Alternatively you can send them the fields as an update request where you'll include relevant fields.

Best,

Beata

• mtk5200
    mtk5200 ✭✭

@SmartWay360 When i publish the report and have it on the dashboard in the ways I outlined above, the current user filter doesn't work in any configuration. It publishes just what i can see. it's no longer dynamic.

• SmartWay360
    SmartWay360 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, @mtk5200

What configuration you are using?

Best,

Beata

• mtk5200
    mtk5200 ✭✭

@SmartWay360 Yes, that works if they have access to the base data of the report and it's in a report widget. If they don't have access and it's a report widget, it says the results are empty.

If they don't have access and i publish it. the report widget still shows results are empty

If i just send the published report, they can only see what i see.

If i publish the report and embed it in a dashboard, they can only see what I see.

In all of the scenarios, the filter for current user is on.