Help to avoid hundreds of conditional formatting

Options

Hi all,

I have a sheet with columns that list a particular service. My rows are site names and we're tracking the level of adoption for each service with the below list:

FI (H)

FI (NR-H)

FI (NI)

C-FI

P

NI

V

N/A

I want to have each one colour coded like you would with conditional formatting but I have 28 columns and so if I used conditional formatting I would need to create about 224 rules. Does anyone have any other methods to do this. I have more sites than services so it won't make sense to swap columns and rows either.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Lisa

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @Lisa Mullaney

Unless you are trying to make each cell a different color, you will only need 8 conditional formulas. You can choose entire row if you want the entire row colored - or, any one of the rules can individually select multiple columns at a time. Remember with color - less is more. Sheet filters are also a way to focus in on what you wish to see at one time.

You may find this article helpful

Kelly

• Lisa Mullaney
    Options

I do want a different colour for each of the categories of implementation so you can easily visualize where there are differences. Applying to a whole row won't allow for changes in each service as it will only apply the colour selected for the first column instance. I find when you use one rule and select multiple columns the formatting doesn't follow through correctly for any column after the first.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!