Extra, unwanted blank lines on a sheet

noonantx
noonantx
edited 03/25/24 in Smartsheet Basics

We keep getting a bunch of blank lines being inserted into our sheets causing filters to total up the incorrect number of lines with some data. It's really annoying. Can anyone help with this>

Answers

• brianschmidt
    brianschmidt ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, this can be tricky, especially since the blank rows give few indications that they are there. In your formulas, reports, and the like, I would suggest conditioning them on your primary column (or whatever field will always be filled for a valid row) not being blank. Here's an example of a formula that excludes blank rows:

=SUM(COLLECT(Test:Test, [Primary Column]:[Primary Column], NOT(ISBLANK(@cell))

Hope this helps!:)

• We are also getting blank rows inserted

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @noonantx @Susan McCarthy

I hope you're well and safe!

It's a feature that always has at least 10 empty rows.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• brianschmidt
    brianschmidt ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah. To expand on @Andrée Starå 's comment, I usually set my forms up for submissions to populate at the top of the sheet (as opposed to the bottom) to ensure no new submissions end up below these blank rows.

• Jen Lawson
    Jen Lawson ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/01/24

Along this line, I've added a filter- to a new sheet I'm working on- and once the filter is applied, the next free lines are entered a hundred lines down the page- so when I unfilter- there are about a hundred lines between entries.

Unfiltered:

Filtered:

Thanks for any ideas… :)

Jen

Jen Lawson, PMP

Vernal Biosciences

Colchester, VT 05446