Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

adding service records to a row

Options
janconlon
janconlon
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I have a plant & vehicle register that I want to add service records to. So each row is a vehicle and I want to keep each service record as a history of the vehicle then I need to export the record for my clients is there a way to do this without adding extra columns?

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

janconlon,

What sort of data besides the service history is stored in the row?

How is data entered?

Smartsheet is not a database. What you have is a one-to-many relationship (one vehicle, many service records). In a two dimensional spreadsheet, either you have to add columns for the service records or rows for them.

Without knowing more, I would go for rows. However, there is no easy way for you to put in a customer ID or vehicle ID and return all records associated with that ID on the fly like you can with a custom built application.

Craig

• Jeff Mullins
    edited 08/01/17
    Options

I would certainly describe Smartsheet as a database software.  In fact, I can't imagine a better description.  As a veteran programmer, I have learned that all software is nothing more than a table of info (database) with a little superficial dressing to the end user.  I have designed Smartsheet to work for property management, so yes each row is used a separate tenant.  This being said, it should be able to be used easily to host vehicles data/service history.  In case there is any question on using Smartsheet as a database, please read the official definition of a database below :

DEFINITION

database (DB)

• A database is a collection of information that is organized so that it can be easily accessed, managed and updated.

Data is organized into rows, columns and tables, and it is indexed to make it easier to find relevant information. Data gets updated, expanded and deleted as new information is added. Databases process workloads to create and update themselves, querying the data they contain and running applications against it.

This discussion has been closed.