Outbound Cell Limit - Who's Calling Me? (Outbound Cell References)

ker9
ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Andrée Starå @Paul Newcome @Genevieve P.

I understand from a different post that there is a 25 million limit on outbound cell references.

Is there any method to find out who's calling the master lookup (source) sheet?

A list of all sheets that reference the Lookup sheet?

What about pivots and DataMesh - any ability to find who's using the sheet?

Thank you.

Best Answer

Answers

• Lucas Rayala
    Lucas Rayala ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ker9 outbound cell references refer to the cells referenced from a single sheet, not the references coming in from outbound sheets

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Lucas Rayala

Inbound link: a cell gets its value from a cell in another sheet.

Outbound link: the value in that cell updates a cell in another sheet.

I want to know what sheets are being updated from the Lookup (outbound). The outbound link has no references, the connection is made through the other (inbound) sheet. Is there anyway to find out all the references?

• Lucas Rayala
    Lucas Rayala ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Think of it in terms of the page the actual link or formulas exist on. If a link exists on a page, that’s the page the restriction applies to. The page that is being referenced by that link does not get penalized. If it did, then my master data sheets, which are referenced by literally hundreds of other sheets, would crash constantly. Also, the restriction of 25m cell references is for reference to other columns on the same page (ie not cross sheet references). That’s the one you have to worry most about because Smartsheet will essentially shut that page down if you exceed the limit (nothing will save until you fix it). There is also a 2m cell reference restriction but that is specific to the number of cells you are linking to on other pages.

@ker9

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Lucas Rayala The definitions I posted came directly from Smartsheet Help.

From another discussion answered by @Genevieve P.

"Yes, there is an outbound cell limit of 25-million. This includes cross-sheet references, in-sheet cell references, column references, and range references."

I'm trying to find the sheets that are referencing the lookup sheet.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

If you click on the cell and then hover over it, you should see a list of every sheet that is referencing that cell:

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/01/24

@Paul Newcome - THANK YOU. That is what I was looking for but apparently I didn't wait long enough or hover long enough to see that come up - I also tried manage references and right clicking.

ETA: It would be nice to have a full list rather than clicking on 15 different cells and trying to create a tally, but at least I can see it.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ker9 I spent so long without the Manage References feature that I tend to forget it is there. Haha. That is probably slightly easier than my method as it looks across the entire sheet.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!