% Complete Without Dates

Options

Hey There,

I work for a construction company, and one of our subdivisions has multiple townhome blocks. We are currently building 3 blocks, but don't know when we will start the other ones (all dependent on sales)

I'm wondering if there is a way to get the % Complete for the whole project, not just the blocks currently in progress. When I use the built in function, it only calculates the % Complete base on the 3 blocks we are building, because the remaining 12 blocks don't have start and end dates.

I know the simple solution would be to sum the % Completes and divide by the number of items, but that would not be accurate as some blocks are a different design, and therefore require more time.

Answers

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Can you share the formula that you currently have as the total % complete? You can probably adjust it to include only rows where start date is not blank.

• Ryan Jackson
    Options

Currently I am just using the built in % Complete calculation found int the Project Settings.

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you have dependencies enabled on your sheet, you cannot edit the % complete formula. You could include a new column and put your own formula in that to calculate the % complete differently. At the moment the % complete will be doing something like this:

=SUM(CHILDREN()) / COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), >0)

The sum of the child rows divided by the number of non-zero child rows.

You may be able to create a similar formula to use a denominator that is better for your use case. It sounds like you might need a column for estimate project time for each block and then use this to calculate your % complete.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!