Sending Slack messages directly to specific users

Options
Dean N
Dean N
edited 04/01/24 in Add Ons and Integrations

I've enabled slack direct messaging from smartsheets (via enabling Messaging Apps in my Notifications settings) but if I'm reading my research correctly, this functionality is only available to Smartsheet EU users and not US/Canadian users - do I understand that correctly? I'm trying to setup an automation that triggers a direct slack message but it only gives me the option to send to a channel.

Thank-you

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Dean N

Slack can send direct notifications if you're using the commercial / US version of Smartsheet!

The way it works is that the user receiving the notification would need to have the Smartsheet bot in their slack instance.

See: Receive alerts and requests in Slack

Then as the person setting up the notification, simply send it to that Contact!

It will alert them in all their preferred ways (in-app, e-mail, Slack, etc).

So to clarify, it won't be the same as a direct message coming from you - it would be an alert notification that appears in the Smartsheet Slack bot at the same time as other notification channels. Does that help?

Cheers,

Genevieve