"Send from Triggering User" in Automations not always accurate

Options
Audrey Hoehner
edited 04/01/24 in Smartsheet Basics

I have noticed that often when I have an Automation send emails from the triggering user it defaults to the sheet owner instead of who actually made that change. I know that this is how it is supposed to work when there is more than one person triggering the Automation, but in this case I am relatively certain that only one person could be triggering a change in a specific row, as they are changed via Update Request.

I would like to make greater use of this feature, but only if I can figure out why it only works some of the time. Any ideas on how to make it more accurate would be helpful!

Answers

• Humashankar
    Humashankar ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Audrey Hoehner

Even if only one person is triggering the update request, if multiple users have editing rights to the sheet, Smartsheet might default to the sheet owner and the triggering user has the necessary permissions to trigger the automation.

Kindly take a look into the similar problem statement and solution - Send from triggering user — Smartsheet Community

Hope this helps - Happy to help further!!

Thank you very much and have a great one!

Warm regards

Huma

Community Leader

• Martin_M
    Martin_M ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The "triggering user" needs to have these fields filled out in the Profile Settings for the "Sent from Triggering User" option to work.

My guess is, that the person also would need to be registered and have a valid email address entered for any automation to properly function.