Filter Not Working in Card View on a Sheet

Options
KatieS3941
KatieS3941 ✭✭✭
edited 12:37AM in Smartsheet Basics

Hi -

My company has a sheet of tasks for employees and it looks like one of the filters isn't working correctly.

When Filtered, The All Staff filter has filtered out one person, "Sam the Butcher". I clicked on the drop-down menu and verified that he's the only person filtered out. This is the end of any reference to "Sam the Butcher" for this story.

With no filters applied, "Jan Brady" has 68 rows under the header "Lead for Comms".

When we go to Card View, "Jan Brady's" rows have all been set to Uncategorized. I went through the 12 Uncategorized cards and ten belong to Jan, and two are actually uncategorized in the column "Lead for Comms".

I have to think there's just a little tweak somewhere or a box checked or unchecked. The only thing that I've been able to correlate to Jan Brady is that all of her not yet started tasks or tasks that are partially started (not marked "Complete") are filtered as uncategorized.

Any ideas? All of the other staff members are listed correctly in the card view, including staff members who have nothing assigned to them. Their names are listed at the top with no cards below.

If I go to the original sheet, select "Complete" and go into Card View, all of "Jan Brady's" cards are also under the Uncategorized column.

If I go to "Share" sheet, "Jan Brady" is listed as an Admin on this sheet. There is only one "Jan Brady" on this sheet.

Thanks!

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @KatieS3941

Aha! That's it then! 🙂

Search for that name in #1, then click it to add it to the scrollable list, #2. That associates it with the column, which then turns it into a defined Lane in Card View. Simply adding a value to a cell does not create a lane, the lanes are defined by the Column Values selected. Does that make sense?

Here's more information: Work with Card View lanes

Cheers,
    Genevieve

Answers

• ro.fei
    ro.fei ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi there! I suspect the issue likely has to do with Card View settings and/or how they relate to your columns. Without more details on the rest of your sheet, I'll use a sample sheet. I've set one up with a dozen tasks. The filter is based on the Completed checkbox & Lead for Comms columns.

Here is the Card View unfiltered & filtered with our ideal display results:

Check Card View Levels

If you use sheet hierarchy, the Levels selection may restrict what displays in Card View by only showing higher or lower level tasks. For example, when only Level 2 is selected for this sheet, only Tasks 7 & 8 display with the filter since they're the only ones listed as subtasks under Task 6 (refer to Grid View above).

Check Card View Lanes

Click View by to check what lanes cards are sorted into. There may be other Dropdown, Contact, or Symbols columns available that don't align with your goals. For instance, RYG is an unused hidden column in this sheet, leading all tasks to appear under Uncategorized when this it's selected.

Sometimes there are more confusing situations such as columns with similar names/content, columns with incomplete data, and/or columns that are no longer used. Take a look at the Card View below using the Comms column.

In this sheet, Comms is a hidden column with a deceptively similar setup & name to the column we want. Unhiding it shows similar but incomplete data compared to the Lead for Comms column we should be using. The similar names & content can trick us into thinking the filter is broken when in reality we're sorting by an old field that's no longer used. In this example, Jan is assigned in the Lead for Comms column used by the filter, but in the old Comms column Tasks 3, 6, & 10 are blank, putting them in the Uncategorized column when the wrong lanes are displayed.

-------

In short, make sure you're viewing the correct lanes & levels in Card View for accurate categorization & filtering. Checking your filter, sheet hierarchy, & any hidden columns in Grid View is always a good idea as well. All of these elements work together & need to be set up to align with what you're trying to achieve. I hope this was helpful! Let me know if you were able to figure out the issue & don't hesitate to @ mention me if you have any more questions!!

• KatieS3941
    KatieS3941 ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi, @ro.fei

Thank you for your detailed response. I'm not sure what to make of this - I looked at the sheet and picked out what looks like columns that are always filled in or almost always filled in. Three columns that are nearly always filled in besides Lead for Comms are: "Status", "Priority" and "Progress".

I sorted by “View by Status” and there were 10 uncategorized. – Only one of the Lead for Comms is Jan Brady.

I sorted by “View by Priority” and there were 10 uncategorized. – Only one of the Lead for Comms is Jan Brady.

I sorted by “View by Progress” and there were 10 uncategorized. – Only one of the Lead for Comms is Jan Brady.

I sorted by “View by Lead for Comms” (the original sort filter) and there were 14 uncategorized. 11 of those uncategorized belong to Jan Brady. 2 of the uncategorized have a blank space under "Lead for Comms". The rest all have Jan Brady or another coworker listed under Lead for Comms.

I thought maybe there was something not being caught by the filter, but when I switched, the number of uncategorized switched. I was told that Jan Brady recently changed her email address, but I'm not sure if that has any connection now.

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @KatieS3941

Can you make sure that "Jan Brady" is added as a value in that column?

• Go to Grid View
    • Double Click the column (Lead for Comms)
    • Ensure the correct Contact is selected as part of the column values

This should add the "lane" in Card View. 🙂

• KatieS3941
    KatieS3941 ✭✭✭
    edited 04/29/24
    Options

Hi @Genevieve P. ,

Kind of?

When I double-clicked on the column, what shows up is blurry. I don't know what that means. If I scroll down using #2 in the image below, Jan Brady doesn't show up. If I search in search bar #1, Jan Brady's name appears. She is listed in different cells throughout that column, but I'm not sure what it means if her name does not appear when I scroll down with #2. I've scrolled down very slowly through the names about 10 times now. It's not there.

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @KatieS3941

Aha! That's it then! 🙂

Search for that name in #1, then click it to add it to the scrollable list, #2. That associates it with the column, which then turns it into a defined Lane in Card View. Simply adding a value to a cell does not create a lane, the lanes are defined by the Column Values selected. Does that make sense?

Here's more information: Work with Card View lanes

Cheers,
    Genevieve

• KatieS3941
    KatieS3941 ✭✭✭
    Options