Why do i have to add data in range to get cross-sheet reference to copy?

Mdoban
Mdoban ✭✭
edited 04/12/24 in Smartsheet Basics

I have a template folder that uses multiple sheets . One of which has a cross reference to another sheet that will be populated when people fill out forms. This reference is used in a formula that fills in values for half the sheet.

However, when I save as new for a new instance of this folder (It is necessary to create a new one every time we go to production with a new product), the cross-sheet reference is deleting. The only way for me to get it is to prefill a dummy value in the reference range in my template.

I imagine this is similar to why it won't let you create the initial reference in the sheet with empty range(which I also think is bizarre because all but 1 cell can be empty), but I still don't want to have to create messy dummy data in order to have my sheet function.

Does anyone else deal with this? Or have a workaround aside from inputting a dummy value?

Answers

• Hi @Mdoban

You're correct, cross-sheet references cannot be created on an empty column. This means in your case, when the sheet is copied, the copy action cannot create the cross-sheet references to a blank/empty sheet.

I don't have another suggestion for you, other than inputting test data. Please submit your feature request to the Product team by creating an Idea Post in the Smartsheet Product Feedback and Ideas topic here in the Community.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now