Require a field to be filled before a certain value in another can be selected

Options

I would like to require that a couple of fields ("Root Cause" and "Resolution Notes") in an "issue tracker" sheet that we're using be filled before the dropdown field "Ticket Status" can be changed to "Resolved". We do not have any of the add on functionality. Is this possible with a Smartsheet Business account?

Best Answers

• Marlana K.
    Marlana K. ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Ross Henning My suggestion would be to "lock" the status and set up workflows that change it. Only caveat is that the Change cell would have to be used for any status change. I have several solutions where I had individuals changing statuses when they shouldn't I ended up locking the column and set up change cell workflows to update my statuses.

Workflow - change cell

Trigger -when rows are changed

Run when triggered

Conditional filter Where Root Cause is not blank

and where Resolutions Notes is not blank

Change Cell Value

MARLANA KALINOWSKI

Sr. Business Analysts / Smartsheet Solutions

National Pharmacy Services | Genoa Healthcare

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Ross Henning

I hope you're well and safe!

• You can add a formula in a cell nearby that shows instructions that update depending on what you have done.
    • You could also have a Workflow that changes the status to make a checkbox available or similar.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

• Marlana K.
    Marlana K. ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Ross Henning My suggestion would be to "lock" the status and set up workflows that change it. Only caveat is that the Change cell would have to be used for any status change. I have several solutions where I had individuals changing statuses when they shouldn't I ended up locking the column and set up change cell workflows to update my statuses.

Workflow - change cell

Trigger -when rows are changed

Run when triggered

Conditional filter Where Root Cause is not blank

and where Resolutions Notes is not blank

Change Cell Value

MARLANA KALINOWSKI

Sr. Business Analysts / Smartsheet Solutions

National Pharmacy Services | Genoa Healthcare

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Ross Henning

I hope you're well and safe!

• You can add a formula in a cell nearby that shows instructions that update depending on what you have done.
    • You could also have a Workflow that changes the status to make a checkbox available or similar.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.