Help with Formula

Options
Nexusmf
Nexusmf
edited 04/17/24 in Formulas and Functions

Hi Community, I am trying to calculate a formula that references a date column 1 (Start Date), and a date column 2 (transfer Date) and chooses the date column that is greater, if there is no date column 2(transfer) present then it defers the date column 2.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated

Thank you,

Tags:

Answers

• Courtney S.
    Courtney S. ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You want nested IF functions: IF Function | Smartsheet Learning Center

From your sentence "if there is no date column 2(transfer) present then it defers the date column 2." I am assuming that means, if the Transfer Date is blank, then you want the formula to return a blank too. Otherwise uses the larger date between the two columns. I am writing this just from the header screenshot, so this might not work on the first try, but the below formula is meant to return whatever is in the Transfer Date column, unless the Start date is a later date than the Transfer date.

=IF(ISBLANK([Transfer Date]@row), [Transfer Date]@row, IF([Transfer Date]@row > [Start Date]@row, [Transfer Date]@row, [Start Date]@row))

• Nexusmf
    Options

Greetings,

Thank you, unfornately, it came back #unparsable - I should have stated that if Transfer 2 column is blank then it would defer to the start column. I appreciate the assistance and will keep working at it. :)

• Courtney S.
    Courtney S. ✭✭✭✭
    Options

In that case I think the formula could be even easier. An actual date will always be larger than a blank, so I think you can simply do something like =IF([Transfer Date]@row > [Start Date]@row, [Transfer Date]@row, [Start Date]@row)

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!