Count Every Time Two Specific Dropdown Items are Chosen

Options

I have a dropdown list in a column named "Status" where we track the progress in a process. The dropdown list contains the following choices:

Initial Testing

Ready for Review

Ready for Retesting

Ready for 2nd Review

App Support Request Submitted

Completed

ON HOLD

No Longer Needed

I'd like to count the number of times that "Initial Testing" and "Ready for Retesting" are chosen for each row from the dropdown in the Status column. Unfortunately, this testing can go thru multiple cycles (Initial Testing, then Ready for Review, then Ready for Retesting, then Ready for 2nd Review, then Ready for Retesting, etc.). I've tried a COUNTIF approach:

=COUNTIF(Status@row, "Initial Testing") + COUNTIF(Status@row, "Ready for Retesting")

but it only counts "1" when either of the testing selections is made; it does not total the number of times those testing selection are chosen.

What am I missing?

Answers

• Hi @GMichal

I think you should "Contains" on your formula.

=COUNTIF(Status@row, CONTAINS("Initial Testing",@cell) + COUNTIF(Status@row, CONTAINS("Ready for Retesting"@cell).

Hope this helps.

• GMichal
    GMichal ✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/18/24
    Options

Thank you, @Marie Gladys Rosales. I'm just getting an error about syntax so added another ")" at the end but it must be something else.

=COUNTIF(Status@row, CONTAINS("Initial Testing",@cell) + COUNTIF(Status@row, CONTAINS("Ready for Retesting"@cell)))

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @GMichal

It looks like the closing ) is in the wrong place - you'll want to close out the first COUNTIF before moving on to the second. Try this:

=COUNTIF(Status@row, CONTAINS("Initial Testing",@cell)) + COUNTIF(Status@row, CONTAINS("Ready for Retesting"@cell))

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!