Best practices for multiple companies on one plan?

Options
Cecilie
Cecilie ✭✭
edited 04/18/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi everyone!

We're using Smartsheet for PPM in my company and it works excellent. Recently, we're been getting more in contact with our subsidiary company, which are looking to do several projects in the coming year, but currently has no project management tool.

We're talking about setting up Smartsheet in their branch, but aren't sure of the best practices.

We use Control Center and has been discussing getting them a seperate blueprint. We would like to be able to support them with our current accounts, but at the same time, we fear that sharing one plan might open up for mistakes as they learn the new tool. We would prefer to keep the two branches seperate in all aspects, with the exception of our admins being able to support their process - and perhaps being able to copy certain templates over for their use.

Any ideas on best practices? Does anyone have experiences they can share with operating multiple companies in Smartsheet?

Best regards,

Cecilie

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Cecilie

One thing I want to make clear is that by adding members into your plan, you're not automatically sharing all your sheets and details with them. Any of those users would still need to be directly shared to assets to see them.

This means you can have separate Workspaces shared specifically with this other company to store all of their projects, but keep your own hidden/secret in your own, other Workspaces. Then when they log in, they will only see their own Sheets folder and any Workspace you've given them access to. Does that make sense?

Your Admins can be shared on all of them, as long as it's clear what Workspace is with each company.

Cheers,
    Genevieve

• Cecilie
    Cecilie ✭✭
    Options

Hi @Genevieve P.

Thank you for clarifying about Workspaces and sharing - it makes perfect sense. I believe we will use this for a solution going forward, so the two companies can live under the same 'umbrella' and support one another.

It does kinda make me wish we had the ability to divide workspaces into main 'folders' or headers. Obviously this is as much a matter of how we're structured our Smartsheet, but it would make things easier if we could keep everthing related to one company/department in one 'box' and only invite people into certain parts. I suppose that might be a suggestion for another time.

Anyway, thank you for the reply!

Best regards,

Cecilie

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hey @Cecilie

You're not the first to wish that! 🙂 If you add your vote to this Product Idea it will show the Product team that you would find this useful as well: Group WorkSpaces and organize them in "folders"

Cheers,
    Genevieve