Record a date when a status changes from closed to open

Options

I have a tracker where I am tracking dates when tasks are closed, but I'm running into an issue where some items are being "reopened" for additional follow-up. What I want to do is know WHEN that happens (so I can track trends or culprits LOL). Is there a way to record a date when this happens? My record a date workflow is working perfectly when someone marks an item closed.

Example, an item closed on 04/01 was "reopened" - someone came in and flipped the status FROM closed TO "open with Jane". I want to know when this event happens and I'm struggling to find a way to do it. I tried conditional formatting and realized my logic didn't make sense because there is no option for "was previously" or something similar.

Many thanks.

Best Answers

• James Keuning
    James Keuning ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/18/24 Answer ✓
    Options

When someone flips the status from Closed to Open, the Closed date is still filled out. Create a helper column that checks to see if there is a Closed date and the Status is Open. If those two conditions are met, write today's date to a Reopened field. You can also use that opportunity to clear the Closed date.

edit: perhaps, even easier, change your current condition to see if Closed Date "is not blank." I realize now that you might not have a Closed Date. Create a Closed Date and automate it to fill out when someone checks the Closed box.

• M Johnson
    M Johnson
    edited 04/18/24 Answer ✓
    Options

I do have the automation for recording a date when marked closed! Thank you for the suggestion for closed AND open status! I am trying this one now.

Edit - I tried this and it worked beautifully. Thank you so much!

Answers

• James Keuning
    James Keuning ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/18/24 Answer ✓
    Options

When someone flips the status from Closed to Open, the Closed date is still filled out. Create a helper column that checks to see if there is a Closed date and the Status is Open. If those two conditions are met, write today's date to a Reopened field. You can also use that opportunity to clear the Closed date.

edit: perhaps, even easier, change your current condition to see if Closed Date "is not blank." I realize now that you might not have a Closed Date. Create a Closed Date and automate it to fill out when someone checks the Closed box.

• M Johnson
    M Johnson
    edited 04/18/24 Answer ✓
    Options

I do have the automation for recording a date when marked closed! Thank you for the suggestion for closed AND open status! I am trying this one now.

Edit - I tried this and it worked beautifully. Thank you so much!