Request Approval Workflow for Entire Sheet

Options

Hello, I have a sheet that has multiple columns with a checklist. Once all cells have been checked, the sheet needs to be sent to the department manager to review and approve it. It seems in the request approval workflow template it can only trigger by a specific field. Is there any way to do this? Or, maybe with one summary field instead?

Answers

• bisaacs
    bisaacs ✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/19/24
    Options

Hey @jamiefico,

In the workflow automation, you're correct that it will only trigger based on 1 field (if you try to add more it will present you with an "or" statement vs an "and"). However there are a couple ways you can solve your problem:

1) Do what you suggest, and create a summary field/checkbox that is checked when all other checkboxes are checked (you could even use a formula to automate that so you don't have to rely on a user to do it)

2) Use the "Modified Date" as the trigger when it changes, and then underneath the trigger block use a conditional block that checks that all the cells have been checked before sending the approval request.

Hope these suggestions help!

If my response was helpful in any way (or answered your question) please be sure to upvote it, mark it as awesome, or mark it as the accepted answer!

• jamiefico
    jamiefico ✭✭
    edited 04/19/24
    Options

Great idea, thank you... what would the correct formula be? What I have below results in #invalid operation. I'm trying to say if all these cells within the range are checked, write "Ready for Approval" or else leave the summary field blank.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @jamiefico

I hope you're well and safe!

Try something like this.

=IF(COUNTIFS([Pay Group 1]1:[Pay Group 2]4, 1) = 8, "Ready for Approval", "")

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• jamiefico
    Options

Thanks Andree the formula worked perfectly. Now when I attempt to build the workflow, triggers only show row options - how can I choose a summary option, basically to that field I just entered the formula in? To say once that field says "Ready for approval" sent the request for approval.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@jamiefico

Excellent!

Happy to help!

Unfortunately, you can't reference a Sheet Summary field in a workflow, so you must add a so-called helper column that references the Sheet Summary Field and then have the new column referenced in the Workflow(s).

Make sense?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• jamiefico
    Options

Ah, ok.. gotcha, thanks for confirming I will do that - appreciate all the help!