Can you use data shuttle to migrate smartsheets from one server to another?

Options

Our organisation has been merged with another, and we need to migrate a huge raft of existing live smartsheet project plan data, reports and dashboards from US servers over to smartsheet on UK servers. A number of us have licences for both versions to enable the migration, but we need to complete in the next 3 months. We obviously want to move this data as quickly and smartly as possible, but have been told there is no simple way to lift and shift - would need to export everything into excel and import into templates we create.

We have a lot of formulae built into project plans and reports, and want to be able to migrate them without having to recreate these formulae. If we export into excel for example and then import back into smartsheet, we lose the formulae, so the only other way would be to copy and paste data and tasks section by section into templates we create so we don't remove formulae.

I have seen information about a new tool called data shuttle, and it indicates you can export something in smartsheet format. I have to be honest I tried to do this, and although a workflow was created I don't understand what it is meant to actually do! Nothing seemed to happen, and the introduction video did not really explain if this is something you could do.

Does anyone have any advice on whether this tool would be able to enable us to export files in a smartsheet format, and be able to lift and shift these files into the UK version?

If data shuttle is not the answer, does anyone have any other tips and advice?

Thankyou in advance.

Kind regards,

Sharon

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Sharon B

I hope you're well and safe!

No, unfortunately, it won't help with Data Shuttle.

What I usually do when I have clients moving from the US region to the EU region or the other way around is to go through the assets and make copies and then review and make the formulas visible, adding * or something else in front of them and then export it to Excel and then import it to the other region.

There are other ways, but that's the one I usually use.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.