Can we get the date format to MM/DD/YYYY form?

Options
Sathya Priya
edited 04/23/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Let me know if this can be done by changing the regional preference. If so, please tell the regional name to go with

Answers

• Sara S
    Sara S ✭✭✭
    Options

Sathya, you can change the regional preference in your settings to change the date format to MM/DD/YYYY. Depending on the option you choose, it looks like this will also change your system language settings. You will see that there is a preview for the date format under the preference you choose to ensure you have a desired date format.

The English (United States) is the option I use and the date is MM/DD/YYYY.

• Sathya Priya
    Options

Sara, Thank you so much for the response. I tried all the regional references. But it’s not giving me the YYYY with 4 digits in the format I was looking for

• Humashankar
    Humashankar ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Sathya Priya

The similar use case has been discussed in the community and i believe you are trying to see YYYY rather than YY,

Can you take a look into this and see if this helps you - how to format date as dd.mm.yyyy — Smartsheet Community

Hope this helps - Happy to help further!!

Thank you very much and have a great one!

Warm regards

Huma

Community Leader

• Sathya Priya
    Options

Hi @Humashankar

Thank you for helping. I'm looking for MM/DD/YYYY format. I was able to get MM/DD/YY but this doesn't fulfill the need. Do we have any other option for the format to appear exactly as MM/DD/YYYY

• Humashankar
    Humashankar ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Sathya Priya

Please give a try and see if this works for you or not:

PS: This response inputs might also carry some research outcomes from the open source / blogs / user guide articles.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Create a new column and use the below formula and give a try to see if this helps your requirements.

This formula will create a new column displaying the date in YYYY-MM-DD format, ensuring the year has four digits.

=YEAR([Original Date Column]@row) + "" + MONTH([Original Date Column]@row) + "" + DAY([Original Date Column]@row)

Quick breakdown on the above formulae:

=YEAR([Date]@row) + "" + MONTH([Date]@row) + "" + DAY([Date]@row)

Ø [Date]@row- references the cell value in the "Date" column for the current row where the formula is applied.

Ø YEAR([Date]@row) - This extracts the year as a four-digit number (e.g., suppose the cell in the "Date" column has the value "03/15/2023", this part would return "2023").

Ø "" -  The empty quotation marks convert the extracted year (a number) into a text string, ensuring it displays with four digits (e.g., "2023" instead of just "23").

Ø MONTH([Date]@row) - This extracts the month number (e.g., "03" for March).

Ø DAY([Date]@row) - This extracts the day number (e.g., "15").

Ø + - The + operator combines the extracted year, month, and day with the empty quotation marks to form a text string

If the original "Date" cell contained "03/15/2023", the formula would result in "2023-03-15" in the new "Year-Month-Day" column. This covers the year is displayed with all four digits.

Best Regards

Huma

Community Leader