Date Automation

Options
Reggie Andaya
Reggie Andaya ✭✭✭
edited 04/29/24 in Smartsheet Basics

I'm looking for some direction. So if looking at this sheet below, I'm trying to create a project time but work my way backwards. For example this project below is for a 7/1/24 Go-LIVE so technically this needs to be completed by Friday 6/28/24. If I put a 6/28/24 date in the highlighted, I'd like that date to drive all the dates before it. Sort of like working with predecessors but working backwards.

Hope this make sense.

Is there a sufficient way to do this?

Answers

• Will Jeffords
    Will Jeffords ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Reggie Andaya, I think we need to know a little more…

These items "look" like they might all be sequential (not able to start in parallel), so I first wonder if the Durations for each are certainly known?

The simplest approach if this is true is to just add up your durations (looks like 50d) and enter a Start Date on the first sequential item that is 50d before 6/28/24. This should result in the desired Go-live, but you have to make sure you have validated the durations and predecessors.

Sometimes it's helpful to have a "helper sheet" open to do "sidebar" calculations like 6/28/24 - 50d = 4/25/24.

If some of the durations or predecessors are variable, at least you can get an initial start date and then iterate from there keeping an eye on the effect to the Go-Live Date.

I may be oversimplifying your problem/issue, so let me know if I am missing some key point here! Happy to help further if useful!

Best regards,

Will

• Reggie Andaya
    Options

Hi Will,

Your suggestion would work or I think another option would be to use date formulas instead of having dependencies disabled. Which would be more sufficient?